Here are the top best Best jenis ice cream flavor voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
If you’re a dessert person, you know there’s nothing better than a cup (or cone) of scratch-made ice cream from a local shop. But if you don’t live near one of the best ice cream shops in the U.S., we found the next best thing: artisan pints from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream.
What Is Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream?
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream was founded in 2002 by Jeni Britton Bauer, who’s often regarded as one of the pioneers of the artisan ice cream movement. The first Jeni’s location was in Columbus, Ohio, and today, there are “Scoop Shops” located around the country. The ice cream is also available for shipping nationwide through the Jeni’s website.
In addition to making amazing ice cream, Jeni’s is a Certified B Corporation, which means it meets rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability and transparency. The company is working toward having zero waste in its shops, and uses only compostable bowls, spoons and napkins.
What Makes the Ice Cream So Special?
With a name that includes the word “Splendid,” a near cult-following and a price tag of $12 per pint, you know that Jeni’s Ice Cream has to be special—and it is. Each flavor has a uniquely smooth buttercream body and bright flavors, and they’re made without synthetic flavors or dyes. The dessert is also free from most common stabilizers and emulsifiers, giving the ice cream a different texture than anything in the grocery store.
And, of course, Jeni’s offers one-of-a-kind flavors, such as Brown Butter Almond Brittle and Cold Brew with Coconut Cream. The brand does have some classic flavors, like Honey Vanilla Bean and Strawberry Buttermilk, it’s safe to say that the artisan offerings are what get people hooked.
PS. For the ice cream purists out there, we found the best vanilla ice cream and the best chocolate ice cream.
We Tried Jeni’s Top Sellers—Here’s What We Thought
Of course, we wanted to try out this amazing ice cream for ourselves—in the name of science, of course—so we ordered a box of the brand’s most popular flavors. Here’s what we thought of each one:
- Brown Butter Almond Brittle: One of my best friends lives near a Jeni’s storefront, and she absolutely raves about this flavor, which has a buttercream base mixed with crushed brown butter almond candy. I totally understand what the fuss is all about now! The candy adds the perfect crunchy accent to the smooth base, and it was easily one of my favorite flavors that we tested.
- Brambleberry Crisp: This was one of the most interesting flavors, featuring a generous swirl of blackberry and blackcurrant jam, as well as pieces of brown sugar oat streusel. I liked that the streusel was still chewy—not soggy—and while I’m not usually one for fruity ice cream, I really enjoyed it.
- Darkest Chocolate: All I can say is wow. This ice cream has the richest chocolate flavor I’ve ever tasted, and it totally envelops your mouth with every bite.
- Salted Peanut Butter with Chocolate Flecks: This was my favorite flavor out of all the ones we tried, and the pint was the first to disappear. It tastes exactly like buckeye candy! The creamy salted peanut butter base is packed with dark chocolate flecks, ensuring you get some in every bite.
- Salty Caramel: I’m not a huge caramel fan, so this wasn’t my favorite, but I can definitely see why people love it. The ice cream is made by caramelizing sugar in a kettle over fire, which gives it a rich, nutty flavor that’s complemented by a super-smooth texture.
- Gooey Butter Cake: I’ve only had gooey butter cake once in my life, but this ice cream tasted just like it. It has a rich cream cheese base with swirls of caramel-butterscotch sauce and crumbles of vanilla cake, and I had to stop myself from finishing the whole pint in one sitting.
Where to Buy Jeni’s Ice Cream
No matter where you live, there’s a way to get your hands on some Jeni’s ASAP. The brand has 47 storefronts—which they call Scoop Shops—all around the country, where you can try the flavors for yourself. Plus, if you live within five miles of one of these locations, you can order same-day local delivery, which makes us very jealous.
However, if there isn’t a storefront nearby, you can order Jeni’s online for delivery anywhere within the U.S. There are a variety of curated ice cream collections to choose from, most of which feature six pints, but you can also build your own order. The frozen treats will be carefully packed using dry ice, and they’ll arrive within one to two days. We did experience a shipping snafu with our first order, which got delayed over a holiday weekend and arrived in a soupy mess, but Jeni’s was great about sending out a replacement right away.
Finally, if you simply can’t wait for shipping, Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream is carried at a variety of retailers, including most Whole Foods stores, and can be delivered in two hours via Amazon Prime.