Fudgy chocolate ice cream with soft pillowy vegan marshmallows, chocolate, and slivered almonds. Is there anything better? This vegan Rocky Road ice cream tastes just as good as the dairy kind, but it’s completely dairy-free! Plus it’s easy to make using just 5 ingredients (plus mix-ins), and it’s crazy-good.
This ice cream is made with a base of coconut milk (the full fat kind from a can) which gives it the perfect thick creaminess that we all want in our ice cream. Not a huge fan of coconut? Don’t worry, there isn’t a strong coconut flavor. In fact, it’s hard to detect the coconut amidst all the chocolatey goodness. I myself am not a big fan of store-bought coconut ice creams, but after playing with a lot of homemade vegan ice cream recipes, I’ve found that those with a coconut milk base have the best consistency, creaminess, and taste the most like dairy ice cream.
Why This Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream Recipe is So Awesome
- So Delicious
- Simple, easy, and fun to make
- Customizable amounts of candy, chocolate, and nuts
- Free of preservatives, additives, and anything you don’t want
- Fun activity to do with the family
Do You Need An Ice Cream Maker In Your Life?
Friends. How did I go a full decade as a vegan without an ice cream maker? I was gifted this Cuisinart ice cream maker over the holidays this past year (thanks, Andy!) and have been blown away by how easy it is to make my own vegan ice cream from scratch. In minutes.
Okay, the whole process takes some time because things need to chill and freeze, but the actual hands-on work is so simple it’s crazy. Totally worth every minute for the taste.
Tips For Serving Up Your Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
The most obvious choice is to just spoon this dairy-free ice cream right out of the machine and into your mouth! But, we’re civilized, right? (hmmmm…might be debatable) Anyway, if you’re looking to elevate the enjoyment of this delightful and decadent dessert, here are a few of our favorite tips:
- Glam It Up with Fancy Glasses – Nothing makes ice cream look more magnificent than a pretty cut glass filled with creamy goodness. Short and stocky or elongated and elegant, you can’t go wrong!
- Treasure the Toppings – What you add on top of this rocky road vegan ice cream is just as important as what’s inside. Consider vegan chocolate sprinkles, mellow marshmallows, crunchy nuts, and luscious coconut whipped cream. Go for the gold standard with thick pieces of rich chocolate bark or silky smooth vegan nutella. Yum!
- Opt for Ice Cream Sandwiches – Super easy to do, friends! Take two of your favorite vegan cookies, add a large scoop of vegan rocky road ice cream inside, and top with another cookie. Press well and wrap in freezer page or place in a freezer-safe container. Free for about 30 minutes, grab, and enjoy! Mix it up by using a different cookie on the top and the bottom! Whoa.
Equipment You’ll Need For This Dairy-Free Frozen Dessert
To make this recipe you’ll will need an ice cream maker and a blender. It’s also helpful to have containers to store the ice cream in (I love these), but any Tupperware containers or silicone bags will work in a pinch.
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Rubber Spatula or Wooden Spoon
- Serving Bowls or Ice Cream Cones
Rocky Road Q&A
Also read: Rocky Road Ice Cream – Brown Eyed Baker
Does Rocky Road ice cream have gelatin?
Yes, most commercial dairy ice cream contains not only cornstarch to thicken the mixture, but also gelatin. Gelatin is not vegan.
What flavor of ice cream is Rocky Road?
Also read: Rocky Road Ice Cream – Stetted
Rocky Road is usually a blend of chocolate ice cream with marshmallows, nuts, and chocolate.
Where does the name Rocky Road come from?
It all started after 1853 in Australia when traveling businessmen were having a hard time selling candies and chocolates. They decided to mix them up and see if they would sell as something new. Because this “new” treat was first tried out around the rough and rocky terrain area of Melbourne, they used the name “rocky road” to describe it.
More Vegan Ice Cream Recipes To Try:
- Perfect Vegan Ice Cream Cake
- Strawberry Ice Cream
- Healthy Banana ‘Nice Cream’
- Vegan Ice Cream Guide
- Matcha Chip Vegan Ice Cream
- Mango Berry Nice Cream
Vegan Rocky Road Ice Cream photos and recipe by Michelle Cehn for World of Vegan. Recipe and photographs copyright of World of Vegan™, all rights reserved. We want to thank our amazing recipe testers Taylor Gillespi and Aubree Summers for helping us perfect this recipe! Please note that this article contains affiliate links which means shopping through them helps lights on at World of Vegan!
Please see more list about Rocky road ice cream recipe