Below are the best information about What is ube ice cream voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
This vibrantly purple ube ice cream is luxuriously smooth and creamy and packed with rich ube flavor. Learn how to make this homemade purple yam ice cream for the ultimate sweet treat this summer!
Step aside Trader Joe’s ube ice cream, this beautifully purple, luxuriously creamy, homemade ube ice cream recipe is here to take your place. This ube ice cream is bursting with ube flavor since it is made with both ube halaya (ube jam) and ube extract. I will show you step-by-step on how to make a deliciously creamy and smooth ube ice cream without any pesky ice crystals.
This ube ice cream recipe is so incredibly easy to make. Honestly, the hardest part is waiting to chill the ube ice cream before eating it! If you loved this recipe, check out my matcha cheese foam popsicles, lychee rose popsicles, che thai, and che ba mau for more Asian-inspired summer desserts.
Table of Contents
- ❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- 🍽 Kitchen Equipment
- 🛒 Ingredients
- ✨ Substitutions and Additions
- 📝 How to Make Ube Ice Cream
- ⭐️ Tips for the Best Ube Ice Cream
- 🥡 Storage Instructions
- 💬 Frequently Asked Q’s & A’s
- 👩🏻🍳 Recipe
❤️ Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- This ube ice cream recipe is the ultimate guide that will show you everything you could possibly need to make a luxuriously smooth, refreshing, and delicious purple yam ice cream.
- This Filipino ice cream is packed with rich ube flavor since it is made with both ube halaya and ube extract.
- This purple yam ice cream is so much better than Trader Joe’s ube ice cream and you can double or triple this recipe to share with your friends and family.
🍽 Kitchen Equipment
This ube ice cream recipe only requires a few kitchen tools. I highly recommend getting an ice cream maker to make all your ice cream at home. It is truly a game-changer.
- Small Saucepan: you will need a small saucepan to heat your ingredients to make the custard base.
- Candy Thermometer: a candy thermometer will ensure that you will reach the optimal temperature to temper your egg custard base.
- Bread Pan or Ice cream container: you will need a small bread pan or ice cream container to hold your purple ice cream in.
- Ice Cream Maker: an ice cream maker is a secret tool you will need to get a silky smooth, non-crystallized ice cream. I got my pink ice cream maker on Amazon and it has been one of my favorite kitchen appliances.
The ingredients for this ube ice cream recipe can be found online or at your local Filipino grocery store.
- Egg yolks: the base of the custard in this ube ice cream recipe.
- Granulated Sugar: the main sweetening ingredient.
- Condensed Milk: adds a gentle sweetness and creaminess to the purple yam ice cream.
- Heavy Cream: the base of the purple ice cream, which makes a rich, creamy, velvety texture.
- Whole Milk: adds a creaminess to the purple yam ice cream while also thins out the richness of the heavy cream.
- Salt: enhances the flavors of the other ingredients while balancing out the sweetness.
- Ube Halaya: You can buy ube halaya at your local Filipino grocery store or online. I found Ube halaya at my local 99 Ranch and Seafood City grocery store.
- Ube Extract: ube extract brightens the ube color but also deepens the ube flavor. I recommend using butterfly ube extract for the best results.
- Vanilla Extract: adds a warm vanilla flavor to the purple yam ice cream.
- Toasted Coconut: for extra topping and an added coconut crunch.
✨ Substitutions and Additions
This purple yam ice cream is entirely customizable based on the ube ingredients you can find at hand. I have listed below some substitutions and additions for you to customize your own ube ice cream recipe.
If you cannot find ube halaya or do not want to use ube halaya because it has a tendency to be very sweet, you can substitute the ube flavor with one of the following.
- Ube Powder: 2-3 tablespoons of ube powder
- Ube Extract: 1-2 more teaspoons of ube extract
- Ube Puree: ⅓ cup ube puree + ¼ cup condensed milk
- Macapuno Strips: you can also add 1 cup of macapuno strips (coconut strips) into your ube ice cream mixture to make ube macapuno ice cream.
📝 How to Make Ube Ice Cream
You can make this beautifully purple ube ice cream recipe with only a few simple steps! The hardest part is waiting for the ube ice cream to chill.
- Whisk eggs. In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until smooth and light pale yellow.
- Heat heavy cream and milk. In a small saucepan, on medium-low heat, mix the condensed milk, heavy cream, milk, and salt until combined. Cook until steaming at about 130°F or 54°C. Do not let it boil. Remove from heat.
- Temper the eggs. While whisking the egg mixture, slowly pour 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Mix until combined. Then pour the tempered eggs back into the warm heavy cream saucepan.
- Cook to 180 F. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined. Return the mixture to the stove and cook on medium-low until the mixture reaches 180 F stirring constantly. Do not let the mixture boil. The mixture is done when it has thickened and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the ube. Remove from heat. Whisk in the ube halaya and ube paste until combined.
- Sift the cream. Sift the mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a large mixing bowl to remove any clumps.
- Chill the ube cream. Cover and chill the ube cream in the refrigerator until the cream reaches 40°F or 4°C about 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn. Pour the cream into an ice cream maker and churn for 15-20 minutes until the ice cream reaches a soft-serve consistency.
- Freeze. Transfer to a chilled container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic onto the surface of the ice cream. Freeze the purple ice cream until firm about 4 hours or overnight.
⭐️ Tips for the Best Ube Ice Cream
- Use a thermometer to temper your eggs. Tempering your eggs is an important step for making your eggs safe to eat. The easiest way to temper your eggs is by using a thermometer to know if the heavy cream mixture is warm enough yet not too hot to add to your eggs.
- Sift your heavy cream mixture. Remember to sift the ice cream mixture before chilling! This will guarantee a smooth, creamy consistency without any clumpy egg pieces.
- Chill your ice cream mixture before churning. This is one of the most important steps for cream and soft purple ice cream! You need to chill your Filipino ice cream to 40°F or 4°C before adding it to the ice cream maker for optimal consistency.
- Remember to freeze your ice cream maker bowl before churning. When you are chilling your purple ice cream mixture, make sure to also put your ice cream maker bowl in the freezer to give it time to freeze.
- Do not over-churn your ice cream. Make sure the maximum time this Filipino ice cream spends in the ice cream maker is 20 minutes. Any longer and the ice cream will become hard and icy.
🥡 Storage Instructions
You can store this purple cream in a freezer-safe container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
💬 Frequently Asked Q’s & A’s
💕 You May Also Love…
Did you make this Ube Ice Cream?
If you made this dish and loved it, please leave a review and comment below. We would greatly appreciate it! Share your dish with us on Instagram, and tag us @takestwoeggs—we’d love to see and share your delicious creation!Hungry for more? Follow us on Instagram, YouTube, Tiktok, Pinterest, and Facebook for more tasty creations and updates 🍜
Instagram Pinterest Facebook