Learn how to make the BEST keto ice cream with just 3 ingredients! No ice cream maker needed, it’s an easy recipe that comes with 10 flavor options!
If ice cream could be its own food group, I’d advocate for it.
It’s no secret that I love myself some keto desserts. I’m someone who enjoys desserts every single night. After dinner, you’ll find me reaching for something sweet…like clockwork.
While I love myself a good chocolate chip cookie or a fudgy brownie, my go-to will always be ice cream.
Can you eat ice cream on keto?
While ice cream is traditionally high in sugar and carbs, there are plenty of keto friendly ice creams on the market.
Brands like Halotop, Rebel, and Enlightened have all introduced a range of frozen desserts that cater to those who follow a low carb diet. However, they can cost a pretty penny, with pints averaging around $10 a pop!
Luckily, you can easily make your own at home with simple and easy ingredients.
Why this keto ice cream recipe will be a dessert staple-
- 3 Ingredients. Just heavy cream, sweetener, and xanthan gum!
- No ice cream maker needed. And no blender too. Just using a hand mixer and transfer into a jar to freeze up!
- Two minutes of preparation. The hard part is waiting for this dessert to freeze up!
- Over 10 flavor options! The base is vanilla flavored, but you can change it up a plethora of ways.
What I love about this dessert is just creamy it is. It’s the perfect addition to tons of desserts too, like cheesecake, pancakes, or even a mug cake!
How to make keto ice cream
- Heavy cream- Also known as double cream or thickened cream. Do not use reduced fat or light versions of the cream, otherwise, the ice cream will not set as desired.
- Powdered sweetener- A powdered form of any keto granulated sweetener. I never buy the expensive packaged options and instead, make my own. Xylitol, erythritol, and monk fruit sweetener are all fantastic options.
- Xanthan gum- Thickens the ice cream and gives it that scoopable texture.
- Vanilla extract- Optional, but only add it if you are making the original vanilla flavor. This can be changed to other flavor extracts.
Make the mixture: In a deep jar, add all the ingredients and gently mix. Using an immersion or stick mixer, blend the mixture until it has thickened and soft peaks form.
Freeze it up: Cover the jar and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours, stirring every 40 minutes, to ensure it doesn’t ice up.
Serve: Scoop it out and serve immediately.
Tips for success
- Add 1 tablespoon of vodka to the mixture to help with the creaminess and ability to scoop the ice cream. You will not taste any alcohol in the ice cream.
- You must regularly stir the mixture, to ensure it does not ice up.
- If you own an ice cream maker, you can use that instead of simply freezing it. If you choose this option, double the ingredients.
- Chocolate– Add 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture.
- Cookies and cream– Replace the vanilla extract with almond extract and add 1 cup of crushed keto Oreos.
- Cookie dough– Fold through 1/4 cup of keto edible cookie dough.
- Strawberry– Add 1/2 cup sliced strawberries and, if desired, strawberry extract.
- Mint chocolate chip– Replace the vanilla extract with peppermint extract and fold through 1/2 cup sugar free chocolate chips.
- Butter pecan– Add 1/2 teaspoon butter extract and 1/4 cup chopped pecans.
- Salted caramel– Fold through 1/4 cup of sugar free caramel syrup.
- Peanut butter cup– Drizzle peanut butter and add chopped up keto peanut butter cups.
- Birthday cake– Add 1/4 cup sugar free sprinkles and 1/2 teaspoon butter extract.
- Brownie batter– Add 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder and 1/2 cup chopped keto brownies.
- To serve: If your ice cream is too icy once removed from the freezer, you can microwave it for 15 seconds or let it sit for 15 minutes.
- To store: The ice cream will become icier if re-frozen. If you have leftovers and need to re-freeze them, place them in a new container and store them in the freezer for up to 1 month.
More keto frozen dessert recipes to try
- Ice cream bars
- Frozen yogurt
- Coconut milk ice cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Please see more list about Xanthan gum ice cream