Here are the best information about Homemade rolled ice cream voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
This homemade Rolled Ice Cream has the sweet and milky frozen dessert rolled up in a Thai ice cream style. It’s made with 2 basic ingredients “stir-fried” with add-ins on a baking sheet at home, and then topped with your favorite flavors like Oreos and fruit. It tastes just like the store-bought roll-up ice cream, but no special machine required. This is sure to be a big crowd-pleaser!
Thai Rolled Ice Cream Recipe
This rolled ice cream recipe is the easiest (and the best!) Unlike traditional ice cream that’s made in an electronic machine, Thai style ice cream rolls are made to order by hand. There’s something about rolled ice cream that feels so special: chopping and “stir-frying” all the ingredients together and rolling it up with a steel spatula on a flat tray.
Can anyone ever turn down a roll of rich and creamy Oreo ice cream? The base of the rolled ice cream is so easy to make, and it’s adaptable for whichever add-ins and toppings you’re craving.
What is Rolled Ice Cream?
Rolled ice cream is also called stir-fried ice cream, a sensational Thai style frozen dessert. It started in Southeast Asia and has become very popular in the US.
At a street vendor, the chef pours a base of sweet milk and cream on a cold steel surface (-20°C), mixes and chops toppings into the base, then spreads and rolls up the ice cream right in front of you. The rolled ice cream is then placed in a cup or bowl, topped with your favorite candies, cookies, brownies, or fruits, and eaten with a spoon. It’s so satisfying and fun to watch, and the result is amazingly delicious ice cream – no wonder this exotic treat is such a hit!
Two Basic Ingredients + You Favorite Toppings
This easy homemade recipe creates an incredible rolled ice cream. The base of the ice cream uses only 2 simple ingredients, and then you can mix in your favorite toppings. Here is all you need to make the base from scratch:
- Heavy Cream: Or whipping cream. This rich ingredient helps to provide a smooth and creamy texture to the ice cream.
- Condensed Milk: Not to be confused with evaporated milk. It helps to add sweet flavors as well as minimizing the formation of ice crystals so that ice cream turns out smooth.
I mixed the base with Oreos, and then topped with more Oreos, whipped cream, and drizzle with chocolate sauce. But you can customize it with your favorites.
How to Make Ice Cream Rolls at Home
This homemade version doesn’t require special equipment, but the ice cream won’t freeze in front of your eyes. You’ll give it a couple of hours to firm up before rolling.
1. Mix together heavy cream and condensed milk in a large jar.
2. Pour the mixture onto a large baking tray.
3. Add Oreo cookies on top of the ice cream mixture, and use two steel spatulas to chop the cookies into small crumbs and mix them with the ice cream base.
4. Spread the mixture evenly on the tray, and place the tray in the freezer. Freeze for 5 hours or overnight until it’s solid.
5. When ready to serve, use your steel spatula to roll the ice cream from one end towards the other until it forms a nice spiral shape. Repeat with the rest.
6. Gently transfer the rolls into a serving bowl or cup, and top with whipped cream, Oreo cookie, and crushed Oreos. Serve and enjoy immediately.
Tips & Secrets for Making the Best Rolled Ice Cream
- Rule #1 for the best rolled ice cream is to MOVE AS FAST AS YOU CAN during rolling. This means that you’ll also get everything set up before you remove the tray from the freezer. An important tip is to roll your ice cream in the freezer if it’s possible.
- Mix the add-ins with the cream and condensed milk thoroughly on the tray. This will give your ice cream a nice consistency.
- Use a large tray so that you have the right thickness of ice cream. If it’s too thick, it will be difficult to roll, but if it’s too thin, the ice cream will melt too fast.
- Make sure to lay your tray flat in your freezer so that it will have an even thickness.
How Do You Roll Thai Ice Cream Perfectly
Right thickness + Solid Freeze Ice Cream = Perfect Rolls
As long as your ice cream layer has the right thickness, and it is solid freeze, you can easily roll them up into a perfect spiral shape. For the amount I used in this recipe, I use a 9 ½ x 13 Inches tray. It gives me a perfect thickness that’s easy to roll.
Using a steel spatula, start from one end of the tray, push the ice cream towards the other end until it forms a nice shape (you can watch our video for details).
Rolled Ice Cream Flavors – Other Mix-ins and Toppings
Besides cookie and cream flavor, there are endless ideas for loading this recipe with a creative array of sweet mix-ins and toppings.
Some of my favorites include goodies like chocolate, cinnamon, cheesecake, crumbled cookies, fudge, banana, strawberries and other ripe berries. You can add different flavors like vanilla, mint, and coconut. Finally top them with chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, candies, and crumbled nuts.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Roll Up Ice Cream Taste Like?
Rolled ice cream tastes just like the normal ice cream, but it looks so fancy and unique.
Why is Rolled Ice Cream So Popular?
Rolled ice cream is very trendy, partly because it has a special shape with a wide variety of flavors you can choose on the spot, partly because you can watch it being made. It’s a different experience than the traditional ice cream.
Is Rolled Ice Cream Healthier?
Rolled ice cream uses less sugar than traditional ice cream, so it has fewer calories per serving.
If You Like This Recipe Try These Out
If you tried this recipe, let me know how your rolled ice cream turns out in the comments below!