Below is a list of the best Rocky road ice cream recipe public topics compiled and compiled by our team
This rich and creamy no-churn rocky road ice cream recipe is loaded with soft mini marshmallows, crunchy almonds, and chocolate chips swirled into a smooth chocolate ice cream base for the perfect scoop every time.
Why this recipe works
Rocky road ice cream paved the way for many, many delicious ice creams that we know and love today, as it was the first ice cream to include mix-ins. It’s a true classic with its pillowy marshmallows and crunchy almonds for texture and flavor.
My favorite bit of this ice cream is that it’s made without an ice cream maker. This creamy, chocolatey ice cream is sprinkled with goodies, made by hand (with a little help from a mixer), and layered into a pan to freeze. It’s quick and easy to make straight at home in around 15 minutes of prep time.
Ingredients you will need
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
Ingredient Info and Substitution Suggestions
ICE CREAM – Rocky road ice cream has a chocolate ice cream base. If you prefer vanilla, simply use our vanilla no churn ice cream recipe instead, adding in any mix-ins you’d like.
MIX-INS – Traditionally rocky road ice cream uses chopped almonds. However, you can certainly use walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts in its place. We’ve also sprinkled in mini marshmallows and chocolate chips. Chocolate chips are optional as garnish but you WILL need them to make the chocolate ice cream base. You can use mini or regular chocolate chips, dark chocolate, white chocolate, semi-sweet, or opt for chocolate shavings/chopped chocolate as garnish.
How to Make Rocky Road Ice Cream
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. You can Jump to Recipe to get the printable version of this recipe, complete with measurements and instructions at the bottom.
- In a glass bowl, microwave 1⁄2 cup of the chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are melted and smooth.
- Slowly pour the sweetened, condensed milk into the melted chocolate, whisking to combine into a smooth mixture.
- Add sea salt, vanilla extract, and cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer, or using a hand mixer and large bowl, whip the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly pour and the fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream, adding just a little at a time so as not to deflate the whipped cream.
- Fold in most of the almonds and 2 cups of the mini marshmallows, reserving the rest for the top of the ice cream.
- Line a standard 9”x5” loaf pan with parchment paper. Mound the ice cream mixture into the loaf pan.
- Top with roughly chopped chocolate chips (use the remaining 1⁄2 cup of chips), the remaining almonds and mini marshmallows.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours or until the ice cream is solid and scoopable.
Frequently Asked Questions & Expert Tips
You can add any amount of mini marshmallows, roasted almonds, and chocolate chips/chocolate shavings to the top of the ice cream, we loaded ours up for as much crunch and texture as we can get. Serve on a cone or in a cup with a dollop of whipped cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce if desired. Enjoy!
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- No Churn Vanilla Ice Cream
- Homemade Peppermint Ice Cream
- Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Vanilla Blackberry Jam Ice Cream
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (our most popular!)
I love to bake and cook and share my kitchen experience with all of you! Remembering to come back each day can be tough, that’s why I offer a convenient newsletter every time a new recipe posts. Simply subscribe and start receiving your free daily recipes!