Below is a list of the best How to make ice cream from fresh milk voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
Creamy, homemade, raw-milk ice cream couldn’t be easier. It all starts with raw dairy, blended with rich pastured eggs, sweetened with honey or maple syrup, and deepened with a splash of vanilla. It’s mixed together and transformed into the yummiest ice cream.
There is a new queen on the farm. My sweet Jersey, Miss June. If you missed the whole story, we had a surprise calf three months early that we totally weren’t prepared for. Read all about it here.
Now we that we have moved beyond the shock and awe of all of that, we have transitioned to copious amounts of milk. Morning milking was my favorite farm chore with our goats, so we did what anyone would do: we hurried out and got not just one milk cow, but two. One for now, and then we also have a young heifer we will eventually breed and milk once she is older.
Now that we are getting gallons of milk every single day (which is more than we can drink in a day), we are having to find ways to use it up and preserve it for later.
Thankfully, there are many delicious ways to use up that milk and cream. From yogurt to kefir, to butter and sour cream, and obviously ice cream, we are enjoying this new blessing. Now that we are about to have such an abundance, we can start cultivating the skill of cheesemaking. I cannot wait. Also, skimming the fresh cream and pouring it into your coffee in the morning… there’s nothing better.
June has earned her Queen of the Farm title due to the fact that she turns grass into butter. Truly a magical accomplishment, if you ask me.
Have I convinced you yet to get a family milk cow? Best homestead purchase, hands down. You can read why we chose raw milk here.
Back to making homemade, raw milk ice cream.
- This recipe is really just a starting point, as you can make so many variations. Add shaved chocolate to make chocolate chip ice cream, or strawberries or raspberries for a fresh, creamy blend. I’m including a chocolate version below.
- Make sure your ingredients are cold. If they are too warm, they may not form the creamy crystals needed to create this frozen dessert.
- For a chocolate raw milk ice cream, add 1/2 cup of cocoa powder to the blender and blend thoroughly to make sure there are no chunks of cocoa powder in the mixture.
- If you don’t have access to raw milk, you can substitute it with whole milk, and cream for heavy whipping cream.
- I know some people are not as comfortable drinking raw milk and raw eggs. If this is you, you can mix together all the ingredients over a double boiler and slowly heat the ice cream base to cook the eggs. Then place in the fridge to cool completely before placing it in your ice cream maker.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Tools you may need:
Ice cream maker
Measuring cups and spoons
What to do if you don’t have an ice cream maker:
Place the mixture in a glass baking dish and freeze for about an hour. The mixture will begin to freeze around the outside; stir around the outside to incorporate the frozen parts into the rest of the mixture. Freeze for an additional 30 minutes and scrape down the sides again. Repeat until the ice cream is fully and evenly frozen, stirring it every 30 minutes or so.
Why is my homemade ice cream not creamy?
This is usually due to either not freezing fast enough, or too much water forming large ice crystals. When making ice cream, you want to use whole milk and cream, rather than 2% or skim milk, because it has more fat contributing to smaller ice crystals and a better/creamier texture.
How To Make Raw Milk Ice Cream:
Place ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Pour into an ice cream maker and follow instructions according to the ice cream maker directions. Usually this takes about 15-25 minutes.
Serve or store in a container with a lid, and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. To prevent ice crystals forming, you could place plastic wrap over the top the of the ice cream and press it down gently. This just helps prevent air from reaching the surface.
Find More Delicious Desserts:
- Sourdough Cherry Cobbler
- Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Berry Crisp Made With Einkorn
- Honey Lavender Ice Cream
- Lemon Sourdough Pound Cake
If you try this recipe and love it, I would love if you could come back and give it 5 stars!