Get ready to indulge in your new favorite warm-weather dessert. This Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie is a delightful combination of velvety peanut butter ice cream, a crunchy Oreo cookie crust, and homemade whipped cream. Drizzled with fudge sauce and topped with chopped peanuts, this pie is a match made in dessert heaven!
The Irresistible Combination
One bite of this peanut butter ice cream pie and you’ll be hooked. The creamy peanut butter ice cream and crunchy Oreo cookie crust create an irresistible pairing. In my opinion, there are very few combinations as heavenly as the marriage of creamy peanut butter and rich, decadent chocolate. And let’s be honest, peanut butter desserts are always a personal favorite.
A Childhood Favorite
As a kid, I used to follow in my older brother’s footsteps and mix a big scoop of Jif peanut butter into a bowl of plain vanilla ice cream. Thirty-something years later, I still enjoy this classic combination. Trust me when I say that this recipe creates the BEST peanut butter ice cream I’ve ever had. It’s a pie made with my favorite ice cream, nestled in an Oreo crust. Need I say more?
Why You’ll Love This Pie
- Easy to Make: With just a handful of simple ingredients, you can create a dessert that looks and tastes like it came from a gourmet bakery.
- Flavor Perfected: This peanut butter ice cream filling is undeniably delicious, and making it at home ensures the best flavor.
- Perfect Crunch: The Oreo crust adds a delightful crunch that perfectly balances the smooth ice cream filling and whipped topping.
- Versatile for Any Occasion: Whether it’s a casual summer barbecue or a fancy dinner party, this pie will always impress. Who doesn’t love ice cream for dessert?
To make this decadent peanut butter ice cream pie, you’ll need the following key ingredients:
- Oreo cookies
- Melted butter
- Creamy peanut butter (I recommend Jif)
- Vanilla ice cream
- Heavy cream
- Instant vanilla pudding
- Vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Fudge sauce and chopped peanuts for garnish
Curious about the vanilla pudding mix? Adding it to the homemade whipped cream stabilizes the texture, making it even better. It’s a great tip I learned from a local baker!
How To Make
Let’s walk through the process of making this peanut butter ice cream pie. Make sure to refer to the printable recipe card at the end of this post for the full list of ingredients and detailed instructions.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Crush the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs and mix them with melted butter.
- Press the Oreo and butter mixture into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie dish to form a sturdy crust.
- Bake the crust for 5 to 7 minutes, then allow it to cool completely.
- In a stand mixer, combine the ice cream and peanut butter until well combined.
- Spread the ice cream mixture into the cooled pie shell and place it in the freezer.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream, vanilla, instant vanilla pudding mix, and confectioners’ sugar until fluffy.
- Spread the whipped cream over the pie and return it to the freezer for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, let the pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Drizzle the top with fudge sauce and sprinkle chopped peanuts.
I know it’s tempting to dig in right away, but that refreezing time is important. Trust me, it will be worth the wait. You’re going to LOVE this ice cream pie.
Once you’ve mastered the basic recipe, the possibilities for experimentation are endless. Here are a few variations to inspire you:
- Chocolate Lovers’ Pie: Add a layer of chocolate ganache on top of the Oreo crust before adding the peanut butter ice cream filling. Top with chocolate chips, chopped chocolate, or a drizzle of hot fudge sauce.
- Peanut Butter Cup Pie: Fold chopped peanut butter cups into the ice cream base before freezing.
- Double Nut Pie: Swap the Oreo crust for a graham cracker crust and add chopped pecans or walnuts to the peanut butter ice cream filling.
- Salted Caramel Pie: Mix homemade caramel sauce into the peanut butter ice cream base before freezing. Top with a sprinkle of sea salt and chopped peanuts.
Regardless of the variation you choose, have fun experimenting and creating your own unique twist on this classic dessert.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I use a different type of cookie for the crust?
A: Absolutely! While Oreos work great for this recipe, feel free to use any cookie you like. Graham crackers, chocolate chip cookies, or even shortbread cookies would all make excellent alternatives.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes! In fact, the ice cream needs time to set after assembling. Once the pie is assembled, store it in the freezer until you’re ready to serve. Remember to let it sit at room temperature for a few minutes before slicing.
Q: Can I substitute almond butter for peanut butter?
A: While you can substitute almond butter, I highly recommend using classic creamy Jif for the best flavor. Different nut butters will create a slightly different taste and texture in the pie.
Q: Can I use flavored ice cream?
A: Absolutely! Feel free to experiment with different ice cream flavors like chocolate, Moose Tracks, or Cookies & Cream. Just make sure the flavor complements the peanut butter.
More Ice Cream Desserts You Will Love
- Ice Cream Salad
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cheesecake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Sandwich
- Grilled Peach Kabobs on Ice Cream
- Two-Ingredient No-Churn Ice Cream
I hope you’ll whip up this decadent peanut butter ice cream pie. Trust me, you’re going to enjoy every bite! Don’t forget to leave a comment and a 5-star rating below if you love it. Also, make sure to join the IBC Mailing List for more inspiration and follow along on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and Pinterest for daily updates and behind-the-scenes looks. Enjoy your homemade dessert!