Below are the best information about Cookies and cream oreo ice cream voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
What’s better than Oreo Cookies inside of your ice cream? Honestly, probably nothing! Oreo Ice Cream is such a tasty homemade ice cream flavor, and I’m going to show you exactly how to make it.
This is a French-style ice cream with Oreos. It starts with a rich custard made from milk, egg yolks, and cream and is churned by machine so that it’s extra smooth and super creamy.
You can also use this Oreo Ice Cream recipe to make an Oreo Ice Cream Cake.
A classic ice cream with Oreos filled with one of the all-time best cookies around! Oreo Ice Cream is the perfect combination of two of my favorite things, and this recipe will make the best cookies and cream ice cream you’ve every tasted.
This batch of ice cream with Oreos that I made for photos barely lasted a day in my house! Kids love this ice cream flavor as much as adults will. It’s not just “as good” as store-bought – It’s better!
Making ice cream with Oreos from scratch is fun and simple. A handful of easy-to-find ingredients goes into the ice cream maker and comes out as a showstopping frozen treat.
For another yummy ice cream packed with cookies, Try Christmas Cookie Ice Cream (it’s delicious any time of year!)
I have a feeling that if you enjoy Oreo Ice Cream you’ll also like our Cookie Dough Ice Cream.
Why You’re Going to Love This Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
Traditional Recipe: This is a French-style ice cream recipe, which means that it starts with a cooked egg yolk custard. This makes our homemade ice cream with Oreos extra rich and creamy after churning.
Easy Steps: If you’re new to making ice cream from scratch, we’re glad you’re here! All of our recipes, including this ice cream with Oreos, clear instructions and step by step photos to help you achieve ice cream success every time.
Gluten Free Option: If you’re looking for a gluten free ice cream recipe, you can use gluten-free Oreos! These make the best gluten free Oreo ice cream.
Ingredients in Homemade Oreo Ice Cream
Egg Yolks – These create the base for our ice cream custard. We’ll gently heat the egg yolks to pasteurize them, but you can also purchase pasteurized eggs if you prefer. Save the egg whites for an omelet or some other recipe.
Granulated Sugar – For sweetness and texture, plain, white, granulated sugar is the perfect choice.
Whole Milk – The first of our dairy products, whole milk is cooked with the egg yolks.
Salt – Just a pinch enhances the other flavors in this recipe.
Heavy Cream – A mix of both heavy cream and whole milk is what gives us the perfect creamy texture.
Vanilla Extract – The flavor of vanilla extract mixes with the sweet vanilla and chocolate flavor of Oreos.
Oreos – You will need two cups of roughly chopped Oreo cookies to make this ice cream with Oreos. Feel free to use gluten-free Oreos, or a store brand chocolate sandwich cookie if you prefer.
How to Make Oreo Ice Cream from Scratch
- Chill the ice cream bowl for at least 24 hours or until solid. In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until smooth and pale yellow in color.
- Add the milk and salt to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the milk to a simmer and then remove from the heat. Be sure not to boil. Add about ½ cup of the hot milk to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk constantly until combined. Then, add the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot milk.
- Heat the saucepan on low. Stirring constantly, heat until the base has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl to remove any pieces of egg that may have cooked. Add the heavy cream and vanilla extract and stir to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap making sure to have the plastic wrap touching the surface of the ice cream base. This will help keep it from forming a skin while chilling. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 20 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- In the last two minutes, add the chopped Oreo sandwich cookies and churn until evenly distributed.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan. Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions in Oreo Ice Cream, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Oreo Ice Cream
Store this homemade Oreo ice cream in the freezer in an airtight container (we really like these reusable ice cream containers) with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month.
Tips for making this Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
Use quality ingredients – When making this ice cream with Oreos, you’ll want to make sure you are using high quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Chill out – If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn ice cream recipes and ice cream maker recipes. Make sure that your ice cream maker bowl has frozen solid too. It takes at least 24 hours in the freezer.
Don’t skimp on the fat – High fat milks and creams are essential when making homemade ice cream. Opting for a low-fat option often leads to icy ice creams and inconsistency in the texture.
Don’t go crazy with the add-ins – If you’re adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea.
Vary the size of the pieces – Variation in size helps to enhance the texture of the ice cream and ensures lots of Oreo flavor! I chop my Oreos so that they are no larger than a pistachio. Include all of the dust and crumbs from your cutting board as well.
Don’t skimp on the sugar – Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade ice creams, it also helps with the texture. Sugar is essential for the creamy texture in ice cream.
No Churn Oreo Ice Cream Directions
Chill a shallow container or a loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
When making Oreo ice cream no churn, I suggest sprinkling the top of the ice cream with additional cookies after the last time you stir it so that you have different textures in the final product.
If you’d like a full recipe for no-churn Oreo ice cream, check out my Cookies and Cream ice cream recipe. The no-churn recipe is a no-cook recipe and uses sweetened condensed milk instead of custard.
Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Add-Ins
Do you want more things in your Oreo ice cream? Not a problem. Feel free to add whatever other sweet add-ins you like to this recipe, but be sure not to add too much. More than 3 cups of add-ins are not advised as this will throw off the ideal ice cream to add-in textural ratio.
- Chopped Candy Bars: Heath bars or toffee pieces, Snicker’s Bars, Reese’s Cups, or any other chocolate bar.
- Shaved Chocolate: Milk, dark, or white chocolate will work.
- A Swirl: Chocolate fudge, peanut butter topping, or caramel can be swirled in to your ice cream after you’ve churned it.
Here’s something to try: Add a small amount of mint extract to the ice cream base to make a Mint Oreo Ice Cream! A bit of green food coloring could be added too. Alternately, use Mint Oreos in a vanilla ice cream base for a similar flavor.
What flavor is Oreo Ice Cream?
Oreo Ice cream is a vanilla flavored ice cream base with crushed or chopped Oreo cookies swirled in. The vanilla ice cream takes on the flavor of the Oreo creme and chocolate cookies.
Is Oreo Ice Cream the Same as Cookies and Cream?
They are the same thing! Most of the time you’ll see this ice cream called Cookies and Cream because of the restrictions on other brands using the Oreo name.
Can I make this recipe with Other Oreo Flavors?
There are so many different flavors of Oreos, including lemon Oreos, Birthday Cake Oreos, red velvet Oreos… the list goes on an on! You can use any of them in this ice cream recipe that you enjoy. Switch up the flavors in this ice cream with Oreos.
More Fun with Oreo Ice Cream
Use this homemade ice cream to make more Oreo frozen treats!
Use it in place of Vanilla in Homemade Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Oreo Ice Cream cake is easy to make using our instructions for making a classic ice cream cake. Add lots of Oreos on top to decorate it!
Make an Oreo Milkshake. They are amazing!
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
We have a large and always growing list of homemade ice cream flavors that you can make at home. Try these next:
- Funfetti Ice Cream
- Rocky Road Ice Cream
- Superman Ice Cream
- Mississippi Mud Ice Cream
Here are our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker – Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan – You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop – Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Bowls – You can use any bowl, but we think these are fun.
- Ice Cream Containers – We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this recipe for ice cream with Oreos? Leave a comment below letting us know what you thought.