As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure policy.
Craving something cool and refreshing to beat the summer heat? Look no further! This homemade old-fashioned vanilla ice cream recipe is just what you need. With its creamy texture and delightful specks of vanilla beans, this churned ice cream will transport you to ice cream heaven. Plus, it’s made with simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen. So, grab your ice cream maker and let’s get churning!
Why You’ll Love This Churned Ice Cream
- No Cook Required: This churned ice cream is a breeze to make. It uses pasteurized eggs, which are safe to consume raw. The result is a thick, rich, and creamy texture that rivals gourmet ice creams.
- Simple Ingredients: With just a few basic ingredients, you can create this old-fashioned vanilla ice cream in no time. Whether you have an old crank-style or an electric ice cream maker, this recipe will work like a charm.
- Vanilla Perfection: The star of this recipe is undoubtedly the vanilla. It shines through, adding a burst of flavor to every spoonful.
Simple Ingredients & Substitutions
When it comes to making the best churned ice cream, quality ingredients are key. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Eggs: They lend a velvety texture to the ice cream.
- Half and Half: Opt for the full-fat version to achieve ultimate creaminess.
- Whipping Cream: Use the good stuff, preferably organic.
- Sugar: Natural cane sugar is recommended, but you can also use white sugar.
- Brown Sugar: Light or dark brown sugar will work, depending on your preference.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavors.
- Vanilla Extract: Go for pure vanilla extract for the best taste.
- Vanilla Bean Paste: This optional ingredient adds extra richness and flavor.
To make this vanilla churn ice cream, you’ll need:
- Ice Cream Maker/Machine: Choose a reliable machine like the Cuisinart ice cream maker or look for one in second-hand shops.
- Mixer: A stand mixer or a sturdy hand mixer will do the job perfectly.
- Storage Container: Use loaf pans, plastic containers, or glass lidded storage to store your ice cream. Check out this slim storage container that fits perfectly in your freezer door.
- Ice Cream Scoop or Spade: Find the perfect ice cream scoop or spade to serve up your delicious creation.
How to Make Vanilla Churn Ice Cream
Making churned ice cream is easier than you might think. Here’s a simple step-by-step guide:
- Beat the eggs in the bowl of a stand mixer, then add the sugars and half and half.
- Mix in the heavy cream, vanilla extract, and vanilla bean paste. Beat on medium-high for 2-3 minutes until well combined.
- If using natural cane sugar, beat for an extra minute until the crystals have dissolved.
- Allow the batter to sit in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. This allows the flavors to meld together.
- Prepare your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pour the batter into the freezer and let it churn for approximately 20-30 minutes, or until it reaches a thick, soft-serve consistency.
- For firmer, scoopable ice cream, transfer it to a freezer-friendly loaf pan or container and cover. Freeze for at least 6-8 hours for soft scoops or overnight for firmer scoops.
- Alternatively, enjoy the soft serve ice cream straight from the machine. You can even top it with fresh peaches or strawberries for an extra dose of deliciousness. And don’t forget to let someone lick the beater!
Is it Safe to Eat Uncooked Eggs?
If you’re concerned about consuming raw eggs, don’t worry. Pasteurized eggs are safe to use in recipes like this. The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) approves the consumption of pasteurized eggs. So, you can enjoy this creamy treat without any worries.
While this old-fashioned vanilla ice cream is delicious on its own, you can also have fun experimenting with mix-ins. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Fudge Ripple Ice Cream: Swirl a ribbon of fudge sauce into the soft ice cream before freezing it for a delightful chocolatey twist.
- Caramel Ribbon Ice Cream: Add ribbons of caramel to the ice cream for a sweet and indulgent treat. You can even make your own salted vanilla caramel for an extra burst of flavor.
- Cookie Dough Ice Cream: Stir in chunks of chocolate chip cookie dough for a classic favorite. You can use baked or unbaked dough, depending on your preference.
- Fudge Brownie Ice Cream: Break up some brownies, either homemade or store-bought, and mix them into the ice cream. For an extra decadent touch, add a few ribbons of fudge.
- Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream: Toss in mini Reese’s Peanut Butter cups or Reese’s Peanut Butter chips for a delightful combination of peanut butter and chocolate.
- Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Mix in chopped chocolate chips or finely chopped milk or semi-sweet chocolate for a classic favorite with a homemade twist.
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream: Add pure mint extract to the batter before freezing, then stir in finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate for a refreshing flavor combination.
Ways to Use Vanilla Ice Cream
Besides enjoying it as is, there are endless possibilities for using this homemade vanilla ice cream. Here are a few suggestions to get your creativity flowing:
- Top warm Texas Sheet Cake with a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- Indulge in gooey, warm lava cakes with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.
- Try freezing lemonade and pairing it with this homemade vanilla ice cream for a sweet-tart delight.
- Enhance the flavors of Rhubarb Crumb Bars with a scoop of old-fashioned vanilla ice cream.
- Serve it alongside Old-Fashioned Strawberry Shortcakes or Easy Chocolate Shortcake for a delightful summery treat.
- Pair it with warm Apple Crisp for a comforting and irresistible dessert.
- Experience the heavenly combination of chocolate and pumpkin with a Chocolate Pumpkin Skillet Crisp topped with vanilla ice cream.
- Savor every bite of Half Baked Chocolate Chip Mini Skillet Cookies by adding a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top.
- Create delicious Ice Cream Sandwiches using this creamy homemade vanilla ice cream.
Indulge in the rich and creamy delight of homemade old-fashioned vanilla ice cream. With simple ingredients and a little love, you can create a frozen treat that will keep you coming back for more. So, put on your apron, gather your ingredients, and get ready to enjoy a taste of summer with this irresistible churned ice cream recipe.
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ star rating and comment below the recipe!
Images courtesy of Ice Cream Directory.