Here are the top best Ice cream without milk voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
Homemade Oat Milk Ice Cream is the most amazing dairy-free dessert, made with barista-style oat milk, and simply flavored with vanilla.
To make homemade oat milk ice cream super creamy and rich, we’re making it French-style, using a thick custard made from egg yolks.
This easy oat ice cream recipe is completely dairy-free, nut-free, and gluten-free depending on which oat milk brand you use.
Oat milk has recently been very popular as a dairy-free milk substitute, particularly when it comes to coffee drinks like lattes.
It turns out that oat milk is most like regular milk when it comes to frothing up nicely for cappuccino, and I’ve determined that oat milk makes an excellent homemade non-dairy ice cream too!
You should also check out our Coconut Milk Ice Cream recipe, and all of our tasty sorbet recipes. Delicious frozen treats can absolutely be made without dairy.
Why You’re Going to Love this Oat Milk Ice Cream Recipe
Super Creamy Dairy Free Ice Cream – We’ve tweaked this recipe to ensure that it’s extra creamy without using any cream or milk at all. To make up for the fat that would normally be in dairy cream, this recipe uses extra egg yolks to make a thick, rich custard base.
Ice Cream Maker Oat Milk Ice Cream – Using an ice cream maker to churn this dairy-free ice cream base gives us the best results. The perfect amount of air is added to the base while it freezes.
Easy Instructions – both French-style ice cream, and dairy-free ice cream recipes can seem intimidating, but I promise it’s not difficult. I’ll guide you through each step so that you are successful at making this delicious Oatmilk Ice Cream every time.
Ingredients in Homemade Oat Milk Ice Cream
Egg Yolks – This dairy-free ice cream recipe uses 6 egg yolks, rather than the 3 I usually put in recipes that use cream. We’re relying on the egg yolks to create a thick and rich custard to mix with the oat milk. Save the egg whites for breakfast tomorrow!
Sugar – Regular granulated sugar gives the perfect amount of sweetness, and helps create the best ice cream texture.
Oat Milk – Buy “barista-style” oat milk to use in this recipe. It costs a bit more, but it’s totally necessary to get a really creamy homemade ice cream result from oat milk.
Salt – Just a bit of salt balances the sweetness and makes everything taste a bit brighter.
Vanilla Extract – Vanilla is a must for almost all of our ice cream recipes. It elevates the simple flavors of sugar and oat milk.
How to Make Oat Milk Ice Cream from Scratch
Start the day before by making sure that the bowl for your ice cream maker has at least 24 hours to freeze solid.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and granulated sugar until smooth and pale yellow in color.
- Add the oat milk and salt to a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the oat milk to a simmer and then remove from the heat. Be sure not to boil.
- Add about ½ cup of the hot oat milk to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk constantly until combined. This is called “tempering” the eggs.
- Then, add the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining hot milk. Heat the saucepan on low. Stirring constantly, heat until the base has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon. This should take a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl to remove any pieces of egg that may have cooked. Then, add the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap making sure to have the plastic wrap touching the surface of the ice cream base. This will help keep it from forming a skin while chilling. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Churn the ice cream mixture in the bowl of your ice cream machine according to your manufacturer’s instructions (mine took about 20 minutes), until it is thick and the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
- Spoon the ice cream into a shallow container or a loaf pan. Press plastic wrap or wax paper to the surface of the ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or until solid.
- Let sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving. This will ensure that the oat milk ice cream is easy to scoop.
These numbered steps match the numbered photos above and are for illustration purposes. For the complete list of ingredients and instructions, please see the recipe below.
How to Store Oat Milk Ice Cream
Store this homemade Oat Milk Ice Cream in the freezer in an airtight container (we like these that come with cute labels!) with a piece of parchment paper or wax paper pressed on top for up to one month.
Oatmilk Ice Cream Recipe Tips
Use quality ingredients – When making homemade ice cream, you’ll want to make sure you are using high-quality ingredients for the best outcome.
Chill out – If possible, always start with chilled ingredients. This is important for homemade no-churn ice cream recipes and ice cream maker recipes.
Don’t skimp on the fat – High-fat oat milk (aka, barista-style oat milk) is essential when making homemade oat milk ice cream. Opting for a low-fat option will lead to icy ice cream.
Don’t go crazy with the add-ins – If you’re adding in additional ingredients, pick one or two and make sure they are chopped into pieces no larger than a blueberry or pea.
Don’t skimp on the sugar – Sugar not only adds sweetness to homemade ice creams, it also helps with the texture. Sugar is essential for the creamy texture of ice cream.
What is the Difference Between Barista Oat Milk and Oat Milk?
Barista Style oat milk is made in a way that it is thicker and contains a higher fat content than regular oat milk. The FAQs on Oatly’s website (The brand I used here) state that the barista blend has 3% fat, while the regular oat milk has only 2%.
When making ice cream, that extra bit of fat is super important! The fat content of the milk and cream is what makes dairy ice cream creamy. In oat milk, oils are added to the milk during production, since oats don’t have fat on their own.
You will typically find barista oat milks in the refrigerated section of the store. Try Oatly, Califa Farms, or Chobani, just make sure that it says “barista” on the carton.
No Churn Oat Milk Ice Cream Directions
Chill a shallow container or a loaf pan in the freezer while you mix the ice cream ingredients.
Pour the ice cream mixture into the prepared pan and freeze for 3-4 hours. Stir the ice cream every 30 minutes for the first 2 hours to help add air. This will help create a creamy, smooth texture.
If you plan to add mix-ins, stir them in after the last time you stir the mixture so that they won’t all sink to the bottom.
Oat Milk Ice Cream Add-Ins
Oat Milk Ice Cream is basically just a dairy-free version of vanilla ice cream, which means that it is ready for you to add just about any mix-ins you like!
- Miniature chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars
- Rainbow or chocolate sprinkles or jimmies
- Chopped nuts or shredded coconut
- Fruit spreads and toppings
- A drizzle of fudge sauce or caramel sauce before the final freeze step
When Do You Add Mix Ins to Homemade Ice Cream?
The perfect time to add in any chocolate chip, nuts, or sprinkles is during the last two minutes of churning, while the ice cream is still firming up, but isn’t quite ready yet.
This method gives the add-ins enough time to incorporate into the ice cream, but won’t crush them up.
If you want to add syrups or fruit spreads to your ice cream, add them in while you’re putting the churned ice cream into the ice cream container. You can layer them, or add them on top and swirl them in.
Is Oat Milk Ice Cream Vegan?
This oat milk ice cream recipe is not vegan, as it contains eggs. If you’re looking for a vegan ice cream recipe, try my Coconut ice cream recipe instead.
Does Oat Milk Taste like Oats?
I don’t think so, but I suppose it does have a warm flavor that reminds me of oats if I pay attention to it. When sugar and vanilla are added to oat milk ice cream, the flavor of oats is not noticeable.
Is Oat Milk Ice Cream Healthy?
I wouldn’t go so far as to describe this ice cream recipe as healthy. It’s definitely free from dairy and gluten, but it does contain a good amount of sugar and 6 egg yolks, so it’s high in calories. As with anything else, enjoy in moderation!
What is the Best Oat Milk Ice Cream?
While you can find oat milk ice cream in the grocery store from brands like Oatly and SoDelicious, and Trader Joe’s, I believe that this homemade version is the best oat milk ice cream ever! Oat milk ice cream from scratch is fresh, extra creamy, and made with all-natural ingredients.
You’ll also get a lot more ice cream for your money when you make it yourself. This recipe makes six servings, about twice what comes in a typical non-dairy pint of ice cream.
More Homemade Ice Cream Recipes
If you are looking for more dairy-free frozen treat recipes, be sure to try all of my easy sorbet recipes.
- Lemon Sorbet is my absolute favorite, and Lime sorbet is a close second.
- For something different, try Watermelon Sorbet or Coconut Sorbet.
Make this Oat milk Ice cream, and combine it with Strawberry Sorbet. The fruity sorbet mixed with the creamy oat milk ice cream will be so good.
Use your creamy Oat Milk Ice Cream to make a dairy free Ice Cream Cake, or delicious Fried Ice Cream.
Our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools:
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker – Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan – You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop – Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Bowls – You can use any bowl, but we think these are fun.
- Ice Cream Containers – We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on Pinterest or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Homemade Oat Milk Ice Cream Recipe? Leave a Comment Below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins.