Below is a list of the best How to make matcha ice cream voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
Make this Matcha Green Tea ice cream at home with this easy recipe and video tutorial. This no churn ice cream is creamy and flavorful. And best of all only has 3 ingredients and is made without an ice cream machine. It is so easy to make even your kids can make it.
Thank you to Florida Milk for partnering on this post.
Did you know that July is National Ice Cream month? This is a celebration, much like National Dairy Month in June I think we could all get behind. You guys know my family loves milk, all dairy products and recipes that use dairy like: Baked Carrot Cake Donuts, Blueberry Overnight Oats, Dutch Baby so you may be surprised that this is the first time we have ever made ice cream.
I can tell you it will not be our last. I just placed another grocery order last night for more ingredients to test out other flavors. On a side note anyone else loving grocery delivery? I don’t think we will give it up once all this craziness is over. The apps make it so easy to have your favorites ready to put in your cart and delivery to the front door saves you time and money.
No Churn Ice Cream
One of the things that has stopped me in the past from making ice cream is that I don’t own a ice cream machine. We still have half of our kitchen in storage since we moved so I did not want to buy another kitchen appliance.
I always thought that you needed a machine to make the ice cream rich and creamy. Well, I was wrong. Turns out no churn ice cream is just as creamy as ice cream made with a machine. And the ingredients can be found at any local grocery store.
It is ideal to have a stand mixer to whip up your cream, but if you don’t have one or like us it is in storage you can use a hand mixer. It works just as well, but may be a little messier and take slightly longer. I recommend an oversized bowl and parental assistance if you are including your kids. B did a great job whipping up the cream, but we ended up with cream almost everywhere including her glasses and even our garbage can. The good news is it is easy to clean.
You will also need a spatula so that you can fold in your sweetened condensed milk and the flavor you want to use. Speaking of flavors, Matcha is very popular in all sorts of drinks and Japanese sweets. But do you really know that it is?
What is Matcha Ice Cream
Matcha means “powdered tea.” It is green tea, but that is not the whole story. It is a special form of green tea. The difference between green tea and Matcha us all about the leaves. With traditional green tea the leaves are discarded after soaking in hot water. Where Matcha powder you are drinking or eating the leaves in the form of a fine powder made from dried leaves.
According to Healthline the process of growing the leaves for Matcha is also different. When farmers are growing plants to make Matcha they actually cover the tea plants for 20-30 days before they harvest them. This allows the plant to grow without direct sunlight. The result is higher amino acid levels (hence the health benefits) because of an increase in chlorophyll production. It also makes the color a darker green hue.
The stems and veins are removed once the tea plants are harvested. Then the leaves are ground up into a fine powder.
Matcha Green Tea Ice Cream
How to Make Green Tea Ice Cream
Can you believe that you only need 3 ingredients to make Matcha green tea ice cream? All you need is:
- Matcha Powder – You can find matcha powder at Trader Joes, Target, Walmart, Whole Foods, Asian Markets or online at places like Amazon, I ordered this Matcha Power from Amazon.
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Condensed Milk
The steps to make it are just as simple.
- First you need to whip the cream until it has stiff peaks. B who is only 7, but watches lots of cooking shows, shared with me that the best way to see if the cream is whipped properly is to pick up the blade and the cream should not drip down.
- Then in a separate bowl mix the sweetened condensed milk with the matcha powder until it is fully combined.
- Then fold in the sweetened condensed milk into the cream with a spatula
- Pour the mixture into a container, cover and freeze
Tips for making No Churn Ice Cream
I will never forget the first time I saw my aunt make homemade whipping cream. I was 10 years old and I was so impressed. Little did I know it is so easy to make. For the best results, follow these simple guidelines.
- Type of Cream – You need to use whipping cream with 33-35% milk fat. Other types of cream like half-and-half do not have enough fat to be whipped up properly.
- Keep it Chilled – Keeping the cream ice cold is important to make it easy to whip. In addition to keeping the cream cold, you want to refrigerate your mixing bowl and utensils in advance. If you forget you can pop them all in the freezer for 10-20 minutes.
- Whip it Up – Making whip cream with a stand up mixer will only take a minute or two of whipping. If you use a hand mixer or by hand with a whisk it will take a few more minutes. You do not want to over-whip the cream so make sure you stop as soon as you see stiff peaks.
Want to add extra flavor and a decorative look to your Matcha ice cream? Mix some Matcha with sweetened condensed milk. Once the ice cream is in the pan pour the Matcha swirls onto the top of the ice cream mixture. Then mix it with the back of a spoon.
Does Green Tea Ice Cream have Caffeine
Yes, Matcha has caffeine. The caffeine boost of Matcha is different from the caffeine in coffee, according to Life Hack. Matcha contains L-theanine phytonutrient, which stores caffeine in the body and releases it at a much slower pace. Normally, it takes up to three hours for the body to absorb the whole caffeine content of Matcha green tea. So you feel energized for a longer period without a caffeine spike.
Video: Matcha Ice Cream Recipe
No Churn Matcha Ice Cream Recipe
Interested in learning more about milk? Check out:
- How to Use Up Milk
- When Can a Baby Have Cow Milk