Below is a list of the best Coffee with ice cream voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
How to make an Italian Affogato! This is the easiest dessert to whip up when you’re entertaining or want a last-minute sweet treat after dinner. Made with rich vanilla ice cream and espresso coffee, grated dark chocolate, and a cheeky splash of nocino nut liqueur, delicious!
When it comes to Italian desserts this affogato recipe is up there on the top of my list alongside tiramisu and panna cotta!
One of the reasons I love it so much is because it is so incredibly easy to make, I’m talking 5 minutes max and you’re guaranteed to have everything you need in your kitchen! It’s really that easy.
A 5-minute sweet treat made with creamy vanilla ice cream, a strong punch of espresso coffee and a splash of liqueur, omg it’s just incredible! The boozy addition is totally optional but so worth it.
I know what you’re thinking, it’s just going to melt straight away and turn into a warm coffee milkshake type thing but it doesn’t!
You eat the gelato and coffee with a spoon, it’s the perfect mix of hot and cold, bitter and sweet then drink anything that’s left at the bottom. It’s like your after-dinner espresso and dessert all in one!
- How to make an Italian Affogato – step by step
- Top tips and recipe FAQs
- More delicious desserts you might like
- 📖 Full Recipe
How to make an Italian Affogato – step by step
Brew an espresso (one per person). Scoop 1-2 scoops of vanilla ice cream into a wide glass or bowl and pour over a shot of espresso (photos 1-3).
Pour 1 tablespoon of liqueur (optional) over the ice cream and grate over a little dark chocolate. Grab a spoon and dig in (photos 3 & 4).
Top tips and recipe FAQs
- Gelato to espresso ratio – use 1 shot of espresso (max 40ml) to 1-2 scoops of ice cream. Don’t use diluted or watered down coffee it should be short and strong.
- Make sure your gelato is ice cold – your gelato or ice cream should be just soft enough to scoop, don’t leave it sitting for too long or it’ll melt when the hot coffee is poured over.
- Add liqueur to your affogato (optional) – Adding liqueur to your affogato is an amazing way to take it up a notch. I love to use a nut liqueur such as Nocino (walnut) or Frangelico (hazelnut) but you could also use rum, grappa, Tuaca or even a coffee based liqueur for an extra coffee kick!
- Different topping ideas – If you want to add a bit of crunchy texture then chopped hazelnuts or pistachios are delicious on top, you could also sprinkle over some grated chocolate.
- The best servings glasses to use – a small drinking glass is best for serving this dessert, it should be just big enough to hold the ice cream.
More delicious desserts you might like
- Tiramisu – Authentic Recipe!
- The Ultimate Chocolate Martini
- Tiramisu Ice Cream
- Torta della Nonna (custard tart)
- Crostata (Italian jam tart)
If you’ve tried this Affogato Recipe or any other recipe on the blog please let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM & PINTEREST to see more delicious food and what I’m getting up to.