Here are the top best Cookies for ice cream sandwiches voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
Why choose between chocolate chip cookies and ice cream when you can have both in a handheld treat? These homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches give you the best of both worlds.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
HAPPY ICE CREAM COOKIE SANDWICH SEASON, BBS! Why am I yelling so early in the morning? Because these homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches are better than any store-bought Chipwhich you’ve ever had. They’re sweet, chewy, chocolatey and one of the best nostalgic treats to keep in your freezer for an emergency dessert.
What makes a good ice cream sandwich cookie?
Now you can’t make an ice cream sandwich with any old chocolate chip cookie. The cookies have to be the perfect consistency, thickness, and sweetness to complement the ice cream. And these cookies check every darn box for the best ice cream sandwich cookie you’ll ever have.
- Crunchy edges to complement the creamy ice cream? CHECK
- Soft and chewy? CHECK.
- Substantial enough to hold up to the ice cream? CHECK
- Perfectly chocolatey? CHECK
Guys…these cookies are simply the best. Hands down the best ice cream sandwich I’ve ever eaten. And this is coming from a girl who has eaten A LOT of ice cream cookie sandwiches into her lifetime. So you can trust me.
Ingredients for homemade ice cream cookie sandwiches
- Vanilla Ice Cream: We like to keep things classic with a high quality vanilla ice cream, but you can always uses cookie dough, mint chip, Oreo, or whatever your favorite flavor is to jazz these homemade Chipwhiches up!
- Butter: These cookies use melted butter which will give you a chewy, tender cookie that freezes well. We like using unsalted butter so you can control the amount of salt going into your cookies, but you can always use what you have on hand.
- Sugar: Chocolate chip cookies should always be made with a mixture of brown and white sugar
- Eggs: Eggs will bind your cookies together. A single egg and one egg yolk will gives these cookies their soft, chewy, not too cakey texture.
- Vanilla Extract: Do NOT leave out the vanilla.
- Flour: All purpose flour is our flour of choice for these chewy cookies. It creates a tender but hearty crumb that will hold up to a fat ice cream center.
- Chocolate Chips: When it comes to a regular chocolate chip cookie it’s all about loading them up with chocolate, but with an ice cream sandwich cookie you need to strike a fine balance between chocolatey and chewy. Too much chocolate can make your cookie hard as a rock. Use a combination of regular and mini chocolate chips to keep your cookie sandwich perfectly bite-able.
- Salt: Baked goods NEED salt. Without it they’re just cloyingly sweet.
Tips for the best chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches
- Under bake your cookies: We always advise under baking cookies, but it’s even more important when those cookies will eventually be frozen. Keep your cookies super doughy in the middle and they’ll be soft even after sitting in the freezer for weeks.
- Use a combination of mini chocolate chips and full sized chocolate chips: Normally the more huge chunks of chocolate the better, but when it comes to ice cream sandwiches a combination of mini chocolate chips and regular chocolate chips will keep the cookies soft and bite-able. No broken teeth here!
- Don’t rush the process: Frozen treats take some time. You’ll need to freeze your cookies, prep the ice cream and allow the cookie sandwiches to freeze once assembled. So make sure you plan ahead!
Summer isn’t over yet! And in my opinion, ice cream cookie sandwiches should be enjoyed all year round. Enjoy your homemade Chipwiches 🙂