Below is a list of the best How to make ice cream cake at home voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
What is an Ice Cream Cake?
It is nothing but a mix of both cake and ice cream where two layers of cake are sandwiched with ice cream. The cake is not just placed in the bottom and top but is there all over and so is the ice cream. You can have as many layers as you wish to have, just keeping softened ice cream between the layers.
It is a No-bake, No-Cook recipe that is perfect for summers to beat the heat. It has not 1 or 2 but 3 flavors and all are beautifully blended with each other that no one flavor dominates the other and you have a delicious treat.
This is one of the best cakes ever! Not only kids but you too will be all gaga for this cake once you have it.
With this, you have the best of both worlds, cake as well as ice cream.
As the name says it all, it needs just 2 ingredients: cake and ice cream. Use this store-bought or homemade. Like, I baked the cake and used store-bought ice cream.
I baked for two reasons. Firstly, because I bake wheat cakes without refined sugar (omit chocolate in this recipe) and secondly it was a just 10 minutes job for me as I made this in the microwave oven. So, within 10 minutes, right from mixing to unmoulding it, I got the perfect cake.
How To Make
- This recipe is best made in a loose-bottomed cake pan in which, the layers of ice cream and cake are placed alternatively and are then put in the freezer for 4 to 5 hours.
- Once it is set in the freezer, take out the pan, run a knife around the edges and wait for 2 to 3 minutes (depending upon how hot it is that day).
- Then lift the loose bottom upwards. The cake lifts easily as it is just the creamy ice cream all over. You can also use spring foam pans, commonly known as Cheesecake pans.
- But If any of these are not available then do not lose heart. Take any deep-pan, round or any other shape, place a cling film in it, large enough so that it is hanging out of the pan also. You set the cake on this cling film and later holding the cling film take the cake out and then remove the cling film. You can check my Mango Cheesecake recipe to get an idea of this.
- Now decorate it as you like using grated chocolate or sugar sprinkles etc.
- Neither heavy cream nor buttercream is needed in this recipe.
This recipe is really easy but still, I faced a problem. Any guesses? And that was that I had to put it back in the freezer every few minutes as clicking pics take long :)-
You can have the varied flavors of ice cream and cake. For example, I have used vanilla cake, chocolate ice cream, and butterscotch ice cream. Likewise, there can be multiple combinations, for example:
- Vanilla Cake, Vanilla ice cream, Strawberry/Tutti Fruiti ice cream
- Mawa Cake, Kesar Pista ice cream, mango ice cream
- Chocolate cake, vanilla ice cream, Choco-chip Ice cream… and so on.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- Fireless Recipe
- Perfect summer dessert
- Ideal for those who do not like cream cakes
- Can be easily made on birthdays, anniversaries or any other occasion
- Even those who do not bake can make this cake
Detailed Recipe with Step By Step Photos
Note: in this recipe, the cake recipe has not been included assuming that you make this with a store-bought cake. In case, you wish to make your own, then refer to any of the following two recipes:
Microwave Chocolate Cake in 5 minutes
Basic Sponge Cake In Pressure Cooker
- First of all, you need a pan big enough to hold 1/2 kg cake plus 300 ml ice cream. I have taken a 6″ round cake pan with a loose bottom. You can also opt for Cheesecake pans. Or simply, any pan and lay cling film in it, large enough to hang outside the pan also.
- Mix sugar powder in water and keep it aside.
- Take out both the ice creams from the freezer and take the required quantities in bowls and let them be on the kitchen counter for 5 to 10 minutes. In the meantime do the following preparations. You need soft ice cream and not a melted one. So, in case it becomes too loose then keep it back in the freezer.
- Now, divide the cake into 3 parts so that you have its 3 equal discs. Also, adjust the size according to your pan. (I further trimmed these and used very thin cakes.)
- Lay one cake layer in the pan. Put 1 or 2 tablespoons of sugar water on it to moisten it.
- Now, put half of the Chocolate ice cream on it and spread it evenly. Exactly like you apply whipped cream.
- Keep the second layer.
- Repeat the process but this time put Butterscotch ice cream. You may even put dollops of ice cream.
- Keep the last layer and repeat the process ending with chocolate ice cream. Ensure that it trickles down to the sides of the pan also.
- Freeze it for 4 to 6 hours or maybe overnight.
- Take out, run a knife around the edges and slide the cake upwards.
- In the process, if the ice cream starts melting then keep it back in the freezer.
- Take out, decorate and serve. I sprinkled grated chocolate on the top. Take whichever chocolate you love to eat. Instead of chocolate, you can also cover it with gems, nuts, desiccated coconut, sugar sprinklers etc.
- It’s a cool dessert, for which you don’t have to spend hours in the kitchen in the scorching heat. Just 10 to 15 minutes and that too with fan/AC on.
- It is perfect for all those who neither like cream cakes nor Butter icing cakes.
- If you want to make a cake and are not confident of baking then this one is for you!
- Also, all of you who want to make a cake for your darlings for their Birthday or just like that, but somehow do not bake, can try this one.
Q) Does ice cream cake have cake in it?
Yes. It has both, cake and ice cream.
Q) Do I need heavy cream for this recipe?
No, ream is not at all needed in this cake.
Q) Will the cake not get hard in the freezer?
No. If you are wondering whether the cake will get hard in the freezer then it is not at all that way. It remains moist only.
Q) Do I need melted ice cream for this cake?
No. You need soft ice cream and not melted. In case, it melts into a liquid then keep it back in the freezer for some time.
Q) For how long can I store this cake and how?
You can store it easily for up to a week in the freezer. Remove it from the pan and keep it in the freezer.
Related Recipes which you may like to try:
- Ice Cream Sundaes
- Frozen Fruit Pizza
- Microwave Chocolate Cake
I hope you have liked this recipe for Ice cream cake and will surely try it out for your loved ones.
Thank you for reading this post. If you have liked this recipe then do let me know by leaving a comment below. Your feedback fuels my enthusiasm. You may share this post with your dear ones by clicking on the little buttons below. You may follow me on Facebook Pinterest Instagram for the latest recipe updates. Thank you!