Here are the best information about Harry potter themed cake voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
This easy Harry Potter Hagrid Cake is the newest in my collection of Harry Potter posts! And possibly my all-time favorite. No-fail and the best chocolate cake recipe.
If you want to a Harry Potter Themed Birthday Cake, but have zero decorating skill, THIS recipe is for you. I whipped this up for my twin nieces Slytherin/Potter dinner party a few weeks ago and could not believe how easy it was.
For those who aren’t familiar with the wizarding world, this is a copy of the cake that Hagrid presented to Harry on his 11th birthday. It was a pink frosted chocolate cake with “Happee Birthdae Harry” written in bright green.
It was also the first cake Harry had ever gotten. Perfection.
- Perfect Beginner Cake Recipe
- Harry Potter Themed
Hagrid Cake Recipe Ingredients
Here’s the deal… This Harry Potter Hagrid Cake Recipe starts with my all-time favorite chocolate cake. The best part is you can make it up to THREE months in advance and keep it stored in the freezer. WOOT!
Chocolate Cake Ingredients:
- All-Purpose Flour
- Granulated Sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder
TIP: Make sure your leavening agents, baking soda and baking powder, are fresh. This will ensure a light and fluffy cake!
Vanilla Buttercream Ingredients:
- Powdered Sugar
- Heavy Cream
TIP: I really love salted butter for my frosting. But you can optionally use unsalted with a pinch of salt.
How to Make the Birthday Cake Hagrid Gave to Harry Potter
Ready for this? The hardest part will be baking your cake. The rest is basically throwing everything together!
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prep 3-8″ round pans pans with flour or parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Add the sugar with the eggs in a mixing bowl. Beat on medium speed until combined and fluffy. Stir in the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla until combined.
- Alternate mixing in the dry ingredients with the coffee. Scrape the sides of the bowl and stir 1 minute more.
- Divide evenly between the three pans, approximately 16 oz per pan.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
- Let the cakes cool 20 minutes. Turn out onto a cooling rack and continue cooling.
For the frosting:
- Add the butter into the bowl of an electric mixer. Using the paddle attachment, beat for 2 to 3 minutes or until the butter is smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- Add the powdered sugar, one cup at a time, and continue to mix until incorporated.
- Stir in the cream and vanilla.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl. Increase the speed to medium and beat for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Scoop out 1/2 cup of the frosting and place in a small bowl.
- Use a pink food coloring for the larger amount of frosting and green for the 1/2 cup.
- Place one cooled cake onto a cake plate.
- Top with 1 cup frosting or chocolate ganache. Spread evenly.
- Add the second cake. Now, you can stop here or add a third layer.
- Frost the outside of the cake with a spatula, making sure to leave it roughly finished.
- Using the spatula, run it across the top creating the swirl line.
- Place the green frosting into a piping bag. Snip a small hole in the end.
- Carefully write your Happy Birthday greeting with the frosting across the top of the cake.
Recipe Tips and FAQs
- Here’s the deal, this Harry Potter Chocolate Birthday Cake is supposed to look rough. Don’t worry about making it perfect. Imperfections are what you’re aiming for!
- Be sure to use room temperature ingredients. This helps everything to mix together evenly.
- If you make the cakes in advance, freeze them by wrapping in plastic wrap tightly and placing into a zip top container.
- OPTIONAL: Instead of filling the cake with frosting try chocolate ganache!
What Kind of Cake did Hagrid Make Harry?
According to the book, a large sticky chocolate cake with Happy birthday Harry written in green icing. This cake fits the bill perfectly. The cake is moist and delicious while the green icing provides the perfect base for topping your cake with a festive saying!
Harry Potter Party Ideas:
- Easy DIY Harry Potter Wands
- The BEST Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Harry Potter Wanted Poster Photo Booth
- Hogwarts House Felt Ties
- Butterbeer Flavored Latte
Sharing is caring!