Do you crave the delightful combination of sweet cherries and rich dark chocolate? Look no further! In this easy recipe, we’ll show you how to make homemade Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt that will rival the famous Ben & Jerry’s version. The best part? It’s a healthier alternative, packed with protein and calcium!
Childhood Memories and Ice Cream Delights
As a child, I used to go on road trips with my family to Long Island, New York. Our journey would take us through the vibrant streets of New York City, heading towards the serenity of the Hamptons. Our ultimate destination? Montauk Point, where we would set up camp right next to the beach. It was during one of these memorable vacations that I first encountered the heavenly taste of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt.
A Sibling’s Generosity and a Change of Heart
Being a self-proclaimed chocoholic, I never thought I would choose cherry over chocolate. However, my sister, who has always been kind-hearted and willing to share, ordered the Cherry Garcia flavor. As we sat on the dock enjoying our ice cream, I took a bite of her cone and realized that it might just be better than my beloved Chocolate Fudge Brownie. The next day, I made a bold decision – I went for the Cherry Garcia flavor and never looked back!
Ingredients for Cherry Frozen Yogurt
To make this delectable frozen yogurt, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cherries (fresh or frozen)
- Plain or nondairy yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Sweetener of your choice
- Optional shaved chocolate or mini chocolate chips
You can use regular or Greek yogurt, and if you prefer vanilla yogurt, you can simply omit the vanilla extract. As for the sweetener, feel free to use any all-purpose granulated or liquid sweetener that suits your taste. Whether it’s white or unrefined sugar, coconut sugar, pure maple syrup, honey, agave, or granulated erythritol for a sugar-free version, the choice is yours.
Fresh or Frozen Cherries?
Both fresh and frozen cherries work perfectly for this recipe. However, I personally prefer using frozen cherries as they are usually already pitted. This saves you time and makes the process even easier. You can find packages of dark sweet cherries in the frozen fruit aisle of most grocery stores. If you opt for fresh cherries, go for black cherries such as Bing, Lambert, Chelan, or Sweetheart, as they tend to be softer and sweeter.
How to Make Cherry Frozen Yogurt
Making this delicious frozen treat is a breeze. Here’s what you need to do:
- Combine the yogurt, vanilla extract, sweetener, and a pinch of salt in either an ice cream machine or an airtight container.
- If using an ice cream machine, follow the instructions and churn until thick. Then, stir in the chopped cherries and shaved chocolate pieces.
- If you don’t have an ice cream machine, simply stir the ingredients together in the container, ensuring they are well combined.
- For the ice cream maker version, your frozen yogurt is ready to be enjoyed! If you prefer a firmer texture, transfer the mixture to a container and freeze for about 30 minutes before scooping.
- If using the no ice cream maker method, freeze the container and stir the mixture every half hour for up to three hours.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month. Before indulging, let it thaw for fifteen to thirty minutes.
Pro tip: Get creative! You can also try experimenting with other flavors or toppings to customize your frozen yogurt experience.
A Sweet Ending
This recipe for homemade Cherry Garcia frozen yogurt is not only a delicious summer treat but also a healthier option compared to traditional ice cream. So why not satisfy your sweet tooth and indulge in this delightful combination of cherries and dark chocolate? Give it a try and take your taste buds on a delightful journey. Enjoy!