Here are the top best Blueberry sauce ice cream public topics compiled and compiled by our team
This is a delicious lemon blueberry sauce to serve on cheesecake, yogurt, waffles, ice cream and more! This delicious blueberry sauce recipe only takes a handful of ingredients to prepare. Bonus: it can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries! You’ll love the sweet blueberry flavor with a hint of lemon and vanilla.
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn a small commission from qualifying purchases.
Click HERE to save this recipe for Blueberry Sauce!
Making this Blueberry Sauce Recipe
This lemon blueberry sauce is a great basic condiment to have on hand for sweet cravings or the need for a last minute, simple dessert. Or just to add a little brightness to a dish. If blueberries aren’t in season, no worries! Just use frozen blueberries instead.
This, like so many other pantry and fridge staple favorites, is so simple to make at home yourself, there is no need to experiment with store bought blueberry sauces or toppings.
Tools Needed to Make this Blueberry Sauce Recipe
These items will be helpful when preparing this recipe for lemon blueberry sauce:
- Measuring Cups – for measuring the blueberries, water, and the sugar.
- Measuring Spoons – for measuring the vanilla extract.
- Microplane Zester – for zesting the lemon.
- Citrus Juicer – for juicing the lemon.
- Whisk – to whisk the water, cornstarch, and sugar.
- Small Saucepan – to cook the blueberry sauce.
- Wooden Spoon – to stir the sauce.
Blueberry Sauce Ingredients
This blueberry sauce recipe is relatively simple, easily adaptable given what you have on hand, and doesn’t require any difficult to find specialty ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need to prepare this lemon blueberry sauce recipe:
- Granulated Sugar
- Fresh Blueberries
- Fresh Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of salt
For the complete ingredient list and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this post for the FREE printable recipe card.
How to Make Blueberry Sauce
It is so easy to make your own blueberry sauce and it tastes so much better than store bought. Here’s a quick overview of the instructions:
To make this easy blueberry sauce, first, you’ll create a cornstarch slurry with water and cornstarch.
Then, you’ll whisk cornstarch mixture with some sugar in a small saucepan. After that, add half of the blueberries along with the lemon juice, zest, vanilla, and salt.
Cook until the mixture has thickened, then stir in the remaining blueberries and cook for a few more minutes.
The entire process will take around 10 minutes, so you can easily whip this up at a moment’s notice!
The above is simply a quick summary of this recipe. Check out the full recipe in the free printable recipe card at the bottom of this post for all the detailed instructions.
Click HERE to save this recipe for Blueberry Sauce!
Tips for Making Blueberry Sauce
- Wash and dry the blueberries first. Wet blueberries will add extra moisture and your sauce might not thicken as easily.
- You can easily adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste preferences.
- And if you prefer to keep it more plain, you can leave out the lemon juice and zest. Or, if you’d like a stronger lemon taste just add additional zest.
Blueberry Sauce FAQs
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about preparing this recipe for blueberry sauce:
Can I Use a Sugar Alternative?
I haven’t personally tested this recipe using a sugar alternative, but if I were to experiment with that here’s what I would suggest:
Use Monk Fruit Sweetener in place of the sugar because it is a 1:1 sugar replacement, meaning that you’ll use the same amount and won’t have to try to alter the proportions of ingredients in this blueberry sauce recipe.
How Can I Make a Smooth Blueberry Sauce?
If you don’t like whole blueberries in the sauce, you can easily remedy that! Just transfer the cooled blueberry sauce mixture to a blender or food processor and puree the whole recipe until the sauce is smooth.
TIP: Be careful when handling hot liquids in the blender. I definitely recommend cooling the mixture first.
Can I Use Different Berries in this Recipe?
You can substitute other berries in this recipe, such as strawberries (chopped), raspberries, blackberries, or a combination of berries. Check out my Strawberry Sauce recipe if you would like to try that.
How Do I Know When the Sauce is Done?
The blueberry sauce is done when it is thick and coats the back of a spoon. It will continue to thicken as it cools.
How to Store this Easy Blueberry Sauce Recipe
For short-term storage, this homemade blueberry sauce recipe is best stored in the refrigerator. It can also be frozen for longer term storage.
Freezing this homemade lemon blueberry sauce is a great way to use up blueberries during blueberry season and preserve the for later.
Storing Blueberry Sauce in the Fridge
Homemade lemon blueberry sauce will last in the fridge for up to a week when stored properly. Seal it in an airtight container, such as a jar or a plastic storage container.
How to Freeze Lemon Blueberry Sauce
Did you know that homemade blueberry sauce can be frozen? It is safe to store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Here’s how to do it:
- First, make sure you let the blueberry sauce cool completely.
- Then, transfer to a freezer-safe container with enough space on top for expansion. You can also use a freezer bag.
- Label and date accordingly.
- When ready to thaw, place in the fridge overnight.
How Should I Serve Blueberry Sauce?
There are so many delicious ways to serve lemon blueberry sauce that I’m sure you’ll find yourself making it often. Here are a few of my favorite ways to enjoy it, plus some links for recipe inspiration.
Blueberry Sauce With Breakfast
Blueberry Sauce is a great alternative to syrup for many breakfast recipes and serves as a great, fruity sweetener. Here are a few yummy ways to enjoy blueberry sauce with breakfast.
- Make a parfait using this fresh blueberry sauce with Homemade Yogurt and granola
- Serve blueberry sauce on top of Healthier Whole Wheat Waffles
- Stir a few spoonfuls into a bowl of oatmeal, like these Overnight Steel Cut Oats
- Pour over a stack of pancakes, like these 5 Grain Pancakes with Flax. Blueberry pancakes would also be great!
- In place of maple syrup for Mini German Pancakes
- Serve blueberry sauce alongside French Toast for a sweet treat for breakfast.
Delicious Homemade Blueberry Sauce With Dessert
Blueberries and lemon taste delicious with many different desserts. Here are a few of our favorite desserts to use this blueberry sauce:
- This Blueberry Sauce is the perfect topping for cheesecake.
- Tastes amazing poured over Coconut Milk Lemon Sherbet
- Blueberry Sauce is also a delicious topping for vanilla ice cream
- Garnish an individual Pavlova with Lemon Curd with this blueberry sauce recipe
- Fold blueberry sauce inside or on top of these Easy Dessert Crepes with Ricotta
- Serve it alongside Lemon Cloud Tart
- Top a Panna Cotta with a spoonful
Try this Easy Homemade Blueberry Sauce!
Next time you’re looking for a a way to use up fresh blueberries, give this lemon blueberry sauce a try! Did you think it made a delicious topping? Leave a comment below and give it a review for others to see what you thought of this recipe.
On Instagram? Share your photo and tag me with @goodlifeeats and #goodlifeeatsrecipes. I’d love to see your photo of this lemon blueberry sauce recipe!
More Blueberry Recipes:
These Blueberry Smoothie Pops use just three simple ingredients. They’re so refreshing on hot days!
Need a patriotic dessert? These Red, White, and Blue Frozen Yogurt Bites are adorable and so easy to make!
This Almond Blueberry Lemon Curd Coffee Cafe is topped with the most incredible streusel topping. Perfect for special summer breakfasts!
If you thought you needed an ice cream maker to prepare ice cream, think again! This Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream is a no-churn recipe, and it’s so delicious.
Have you ever made blueberry sauce? What is your favorite way to enjoy it?
Get More Easy Recipes via Email
Love this recipe for Lemon Blueberry Sauce? Sign up for Good Life Eats email updates and never miss another recipe!