Below is a list of the best Vegan strawberry ice cream voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
This is an easy no-churn recipe for Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream. The creamy ice cream is made with only 5 ingredients including canned coconut milk, fresh (or frozen strawberries), and honey. Plus, a secret ingredient that makes this ice cream extra velvety and smooth!
POST UPDATED May, 2022
Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
Is it possible to have velvety smooth ice cream made without milk or cream? I say yes, it is! If you have read or tried any of my other recipes on the blog, you will know that I am a fan of canned coconut milk. I use it to make Whipped Coconut Cream, Butter Free Vanilla Frosting, and a perfectly creamy Strawberry Float.
So, I figured it was about time to give dairy free ice cream a try with my beloved ingredient. Make no mistake, it may be hard to truly replace the luxurious richness of a dairy ice cream. However, this Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream will give it a run for its money!
What To Expect With This Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- Robust Strawberry Flavor – Strawberry ice cream should taste like strawberries, right!? Using fresh strawberries will give you a bright flavor, but frozen strawberries work great too!
- Creamy – The key to this creamy dairy-free ice cream is to use only the coconut solids from the can of coconut milk.
- No-Churn – You do not need an ice cream maker/machine to make this strawberry ice cream! Only a good blender.
- Only 5 Ingredients – I don’t think it can get any easier than just 5 ingredients! Check out the recipe for the few ingredients you need. Hint: I’ve already named 3 of them …
- You Can Make It Vegan – We use honey as the sweetener in the ice cream, but you could certainly swap in maple syrup, or any sweetener of choice.
- Secret Ingredient To Make It Creamy and Smooth – It’s not as exciting as you may think … but keep reading to find out what the secret creamy ingredient is!
How To Make Dairy Free Ice Cream Creamy
It may not be the most mind-blowing ingredient, but I have found that using dairy-free yogurt helps make the Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream smooth and creamy. In the case of this recipe, I recommend using a strawberry flavored coconut yogurt. My preference is So Delicious because I find it to be thick and creamy, whereas other brands may be a little more watery.
The other way, and probably the most important, to make creamy dairy free ice cream: only use the coconut solids from the can of coconut milk. And it must be canned coconut milk, and not carton coconut milk.
What Does DAiry Free ice Cream Taste Like
Probably the most important question to ask! I mean, dairy free, no egg yolk base, refined sugar free (sans the yogurt), and not made in an ice cream machine – how can it possibly taste like ice cream?! It does! Think of your favorite strawberry smoothie … that is what this ice cream reminds me of.
- Lighter – The coconut cream base naturally makes the ice cream lighter than its dairy counterpart.
- Real Strawberry Flavor – Because this is a lighter ice cream, the strawberries and their flavor are the primary flavor you’ll notice.
- Creamy – I think I’ve touched on the texture of the ice cream enough by now, but just in case – this ice cream is deliciously creamy!
- Delicately Sweet – I like using honey in this recipe because it has more fruity and floral notes. Additionally, the honey doesn’t overpower the strawberry flavor.
What You Need To Make Dairy-Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- Strawberries – I recommend fresh in season. However, frozen strawberries will also work.
- Unsweetened Canned Coconut Milk – This is my go-to brand right now. We are only using the coconut solids from the can.
- Dairy-Free Strawberry Yogurt – Because we are using coconut milk, I like to use coconut milk yogurt. SoDelicious seems to be readily available in stores. But if there is another yogurt you like, feel free to try it!
- Honey – To make the ice cream vegan, you can use maple syrup or regular sugar.
- Lemon Juice – This does not add lemon flavor, but rather brightens the flavor of the strawberries.
- Salt – Just a pinch – and I mean a pinch. We are not making the ice cream salty. The salt enhances the flavors, especially the sweet.
- High Powered Blender – A good quality blender is worth the investment. Especially if you make smoothies or bake a lot.
- Ice Cream Containers – These are the ice cream containers I have been using lately. I like that they are lidded containers. I have also included other container ideas in the Notes of the recipe.
What Is The Best Way To Get The Can Of Coconut Milk To Solidify
If you notice your can of coconut milk sloshes around when you turn it upside down, that is a good indicator that there is a lot of liquid in the can. If you happen to be checking the cans while at your grocery, try another can and turn upside down. We are looking for cans that don’t slosh.
- Do not shake the can of coconut milk. While testing your cans, resist the temptation to actually shake the can. Shaking the can essentially emulsifies the liquids and solids.
- Put the can of coconut milk in the refrigerator. Refrigerating the can of coconut milk firms up the coconut solids and the liquids will separate to the bottom.
Tips For Making Dairy Free Strawberry Ice Cream
- Refrigerate the can of unsweetened coconut milk overnight – the coconut solids and liquid separate better when refrigerated.
- Do not use carton coconut milk – it has too much water and will probably make the ice cream icy.
- Use fresh strawberries – If they are in season. I like to use fresh because of the bright and fresh flavor. However, frozen strawberries will work just fine!
- I recommend strawberry coconut milk yogurt – but by all means, switch up the flavors as you like. Vanilla would be good in this ice cream as well!
- Make the ice cream vegan by swapping the honey with maple syrup – Or any other sweetener of choice. You will just have to taste test to get the ice cream to the level of sweetness you prefer.
- A little lemon juice and salt – both of these are flavor enhancers. They help make the fruit vibrant and fresh.
- Use a good blender – I recently invested in one, and it has been a game-changer. Otherwise, you may run the risk of the ingredients not blending well. Or, you could be left with chunks of strawberries (which I suppose is not that bad!)
- Let the ice cream sit at room temperature before serving – The ice cream freezes well and it will need to sit for a few minutes before easily scoop’able.
- Serve in a bowl or a cone – The strawberry ice cream scoops like dairy ice cream, so why not enjoy it in your favorite cone!
Common questions for making dairy free strawberry ice cream
More Frozen Dessert Recipes
- Vanilla Malted Milk Ball Ice Cream (No-Churn)
- Dairy Free Pina Colada Ice Cream
- No-Churn Fresh Cherry Ice Cream
- Creamy Watermelon Popsicles with Magic Shell
- Peanut Butter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches