Custard powder ice cream recipe – Eggless custard ice cream made without icecream machine, without eggs and without condensed milk. This is a wonderful summer treat I recently whipped up for my boys. This is a simple recipe and can be made with any flavor you desire. I have used vanilla flavored custard powder. You can use your favorite flavored powder.
To make this ice cream, I prepared the custard first and then cooled it. Later mixed it with the freshly whipped cream. This recipe gives you a thick creamy and delicious icecream that doesn’t form crystals.
You can also pour the prepared custard icecream mixture to stainless steel cups or Popsicle moulds and set them.
I have used a hand mixer to whip the cream. However you can also use a Indian mixer with a whipping blade to whip it. But if you have a icecream maker or kitchen aid attachment then you can just pour the chilled mixture and churn it. The taste & texture of icecream churned in a machine is the best as it aerates well.
I have used a eggless custard powder that has no artificial colors & flavors.
For more Ice cream recipes, you can checkChocolate ice creamVanilla ice creamButterscotch ice cream
How to make eggless custard ice cream
First, chill the bowl, beaters (or icecream bowl) and cream as well for 24 hours. If using a steel mixer jar then, just chill it in the fridge for 1 to 2 hours. (not in the freezer)
1. Add custard powder to a bowl.
2. Pour 3 tbsp of milk into the bowl. Make a smooth mixture that has no lumps.
3. Next add sugar to milk and begin to heat.
4. Dissolve the sugar completely. Then begin to add 1 tbsp custard mixture each time, in parts.
5. Mix well.
6. Again add another 1 to 2 tbsps. Then mix well again after every addition to make sure there are no lumps.
7. Cook the mixture on a a medium to low flame stirring consistently to prevent lumps.
8. Turn off the stove when it turns thick. The mixture has to coat the back of the spoon well when you dip it in the mixture.
9. Cover as soon as it is done and cool this completely. The mixture has to be smooth without lumps.
10. While it cools, you can pour the cream to the chilled bowl. Begin to whip it on a low speed first and then on a medium speed. If using a mixer jar, pour the cream to it. Run the mixer until the cream turns thick. Do not over whip otherwise you will end up with butter. Check after 1 minute and then again after 30 seconds.
11. Soon the mixture turns frothy first and then to stiff peaks. Do not over whip the cream.
12. Whisk the custard to smooth. If it is too thick, you can add little milk and whisk again. Then transfer it to the whipped cream. I prefer to pass it through a sieve just to make sure there are no lumps. I added it in 2 batches and mixed.
13. Finally the mixture has to be thick but of flowing consistency. Very runny mixture may later form ice crystals.
14. I forgot to add in vanilla, so added later. But you can add it along with custard.
15. Mix well and cover the bowl with a cling wrap. Make sure the wrap touches the cream to prevent crystals.
Scoop custard powder ice cream and finally garnish with cherries.
Custard powder ice cream recipe
For more information please see the list of Ice cream custard recipe