Below is a list of the best Ice cream cookie recipe voted by readers and compiled and edited by our team, let’s find out
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches are one of the easiest summer treats to make! Find out our secret to getting the perfect amount of ice cream every time.
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
We love making a good homemade ice cream cookie sandwich in the summertime because they’re such an easy dessert! No plates, bowls or utensils required. You can just serve them up and let everyone enjoy them without any cleanup. They’re perfect for family reunions, backyard picnics, church potlucks, or just a casual night at home. Your favorite tender cookies with creamy vanilla ice cream – it really doesn’t get any better than this double whammy of deliciousness!
Ice Cream Sandwiches the EASY way
Many recipes for ice cream sandwiches call for softening the ice cream or getting it close to room temperature and then using a nice ice cream scoop to scoop it on the cookie. The problem with this is that you have to get the ice cream JUST the right consistency or you will have a mess. If the ice cream is too hard it will break the cookie. If it is too soft it won’t keep its shape. Then you have to refreeze them on a pan or baking sheet in the freezer which could take a while. For our method, you simply cut right through the pint container what thickness you want and place it on the cookie (see pictures above and below). So easy!
What kind of cookie is best?
For the perfect ice cream sandwich we like to use functional cookies that are a little on the chewy side because they hold together better than crispy or crunchy cookies. Generally we bake the cookies until they’re just golden brown and allow them to cool completely before adding the ice cream. We like to use a traditional chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe, chocolate cookies, and oatmeal cookies the most. Cookies like peanut butter cookies or sugar cookies tend to crumble and don’t hold up as well with ice cream in the middle.
If you’re looking for some delicious recipes to start with, try our Chew Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, our Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies or for a fun twist, our M&M Gourmet Cookies. For a good chocolate cookie, try this Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies recipe, and just leave off the fudge and marshmallows on top. These are simple cookies that even novice bakers can make! OR you can make it even easier on yourself and just get the Costco cookies. They are the perfect size for cookie ice cream sandwiches!
Our favorite ice cream cookie sandwich combinations.
You can’t go wrong with any combination of cookie and ice cream! My favorites are the chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches with classic vanilla. But use your imagination and mix and match all kinds of cookies with your favorite ice cream flavor combinations until you find your favorite flavor combination.
- chocolate cookie + mint chocolate chip
- chewy chocolate chip cookies + Moose tracks
- oatmeal raisin cookie + vanilla ice cream
- chocolate cookie + cookies and cream
- oatmeal + salted caramel
- chocolate chip cookie + cookie dough ice cream
Tips for Tender Cookies
- For these ice cream cookie sandwiches, start with a good cookie! A basic chewy cookie recipe contains an egg, sometimes extra egg yolks, unsalted butter, brown sugar or corn syrup, baking soda, a teaspoon vanilla extract, a teaspoon salt, baking powder, and all purpose flour.
- Use a mixer to combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then scrape down the sides of the bowl. In a separate bowl add all your dry ingredients and sift together to make sure they’re nice and combined. Then slowly add your dry ingredients.
- If the recipe calls for milk, avoid using skim milk or low-fat milk. Use this opportunity to treat yourself!
- Use a cookie scoop to get the cookies all the same size. They come in tablespoons sizes or larger. Just decide how big you’d like your finished dessert.
- Heat oven and make sure the oven is completely preheated before putting in your cookie sheet.
- Use parchment paper on your baking sheet to make sure the cookies slide off nicely after baking.
- Don’t overbake!
Ideas for Homemade Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
- Remember, for the perfect ice cream cookie sandwich, don’t even bother scooping the ice cream from the container, just cut slices!
- Feeling unmotivated to make cookies? Just use the Costco bakery cookies, they work GREAT!
- Wrap up individually and freeze until ready to eat
- Roll the edge of your ice cream-sandwiches in your favorite ice cream topping (such a sprinkles, nuts, shredded coconut, or mini chocolate chips) to create a homemade chipwich.