Below is a list of the best Black raspberry ice cream recipe voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
Black raspberry ice cream is an unforgettably delicious frozen treat thanks to the unique flavor of these elusive berries. This homemade berry ripple ice cream is a summertime classic.
black raspberry ice cream (aka black raspberry ripple)
When I was a kid black raspberry was my favorite ice cream flavor, but I haven’t seen it in years. I’m so excited to share my own homemade version, made with berries we picked ourselves. If you have access to these amazing berries, this is a wonderful way to celebrate them. The flavor conjures up summer days like nothing else. But don’t despair if you can’t find them, this recipe can be made with any berry you’ve got.
what you’ll need:
- You’ll need an ice cream machine for this recipe. I highly recommend getting one if you haven’t already ~ they’re not expensive and they give such pleasure all year long. I have used the Cuisinart base model for years and it’s never failed me, you can find it here.
- black raspberries ~ we picked ours in a nearby wooded area. You can use fresh or frozen berries.
- heavy cream
- egg yolks
- vanilla extract ~ the extract brings out lovely flavor notes in the berries.
black raspberries (black caps) are an unsung superfood
Black raspberries are a berry related to the red raspberry, and native to North America. Black raspberries are super high in antioxidants and research indicates that they have important cancer fighting properties. They’re among the healthiest of all fruits.
These special berries are mostly available only in summer, and grow wild in much of the northern states (we pick local berries in Wisconsin in July.) Cultivated black raspberries were once more common, but nowadays are grown mostly in Oregon and it’s rare to find them in stores (so sad!)
The blackberry’s sweet floral flavor is famous among berry lovers, and the color is spectacular. Black raspberries can be substituted in recipes that call for raspberries or blackberries with delicious results.
freeze the delicate berries to preserve them
If you’re lucky enough to find fresh black raspberries, you’ll need to use them immediately because of their delicate nature. We pick ours every summer and I stash them in zip lock freezer bags the same day so I can enjoy them at my leisure. They can be used from frozen in most recipes, including this ice cream, and my black raspberry muffins.
how to make black raspberry ice cream
Blackberry ice cream is essentially vanilla ice cream with cooked and strained blackberries added to it. The berry puree can be swirled in like I’ve done, or completely mixed in a for uniform purple color. This homemade method results in an ice cream with a vivid berry flavor, unlike anything you’re going to find commercially.
- Cook black raspberries and sugar in a saucepan until the berries have broken down and become juicy.
- Add cornstarch and continue to cook until thickened.
- Push the berry mixture through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Chill the berry puree.
- Make vanilla ice cream according to your favorite recipe.
- When the ice cream is almost finished churning, add some of the chilled berry puree to the machine and allow it to mix in.
- Transfer half of the ice cream to a pan, top with half of the remaining berry puree, and swirl the two together using a knife or chopstick.
- Top with the rest of the ice cream and follow with the rest of the berry puree. Swirl again.
- Freeze until scoop-able.
more homemade ice cream recipes to try
- Homemade Rhubarb Ice Cream
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Manhattan Cocktail Ice Cream
- Chocolate Frozen Custard Recipe
- Fresh Lemon Ice Cream
- Fresh Mint Chip Ice Cream