Here are the top best Gluten free cookie dough ice cream voted by users and compiled by us, invite you to learn together
This super creamy vegan cookie dough ice cream is packed with edible cookie dough balls and chocolate chips in every bite! With an easy no churn dairy free vanilla ice cream base, this is the best homemade cookie dough ice cream recipe that can easily be made gluten free and refined sugar free!
Why you’ll love this homemade cookie dough ice cream recipe:
If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, then you know that I have a thing for vegan ice cream recipes. So of course, I had to make my favorite vegan ice cream flavor.
But this easy vegan cookie dough ice cream is easily my favorite. This ice cream is so creamy and lush, sweet and smooth, and packed with homemade vegan cookie dough and chocolate chips in every single bite.
Yes, there is truly cookie dough in every single bite!
Not to mention, making your own cookie dough ice cream is actually so incredibly easy. You don’t need an ice cream machine if you don’t have one, and there’s no need to heat the mixture before freezing. Simply blend and freeze!
And this vegan cookie dough ice cream is undetectably dairy free, easily made refined sugar free and gluten free, and naturally nut free!
I can’t think of a better way to spend a hot summer day than enjoying some homemade cookie dough ice cream 🙂
Ingredients & Equipment for No Churn Vegan Cookie Dough Ice Cream
What I love about this no churn ice cream is that you don’t need any fancy equipment, not even an ice cream maker (though if you have one, you’re more than welcome to use it!).
The ingredients are also incredibly simple and common (I find that many people think vegan recipes have to use ingredients that seem foreign or strange- trust me, the Banana Diaries is not about that!).
Ingredients for the cookie dough ice cream:
For the ice cream: we have actually three base recipes that you can choose from. One is a coconut based ice cream, the other a cashew based one, and finally a Paleo vegan sweet potato ice cream.
The coconut based ice cream uses:
- Coconut cream: I recommend Edward & Sons Heavy Coconut cream.
- Coconut milk: a simple coconut milk in a can is good here!
- Sugar: you can use granulated sugar or maple syrup here.
- Vanilla extract & powder: the vanilla powder will give you the flecks of vanilla bean seeds, which I love!
For the cookie dough: I actually based it off of my healthy edible cookie dough. We’ll use this recipe x3. For the cookie dough, you’ll need:
- Organic flour: I explain in the recipe card and notes section how to make this gluten free, and even Paleo so read on for more! A note though: please toast your flour before making the cookie dough, as this ensures that you don’t get any bacteria from raw flour!
- Coconut oil
- Coconut sugar
- Dairy free milk
- Chocolate chips
Vegan Ice Cream Equipment
For either ice cream recipe that you choose, you’ll need a food processor. I recommend the Hamilton Beach Food Processor. It’s massive and only costs $44. Plus, it’s lasted me for 7 years. YES 7 YEARS!
Then you’ll also need a loaf pan and a spoon.
There is an option to use an ice cream maker, but keep in mind: you’ll need to make sure your ice cream container is frozen at least the day before you make the ice cream!
How to make vegan cookie dough ice cream from scratch
To make this vegan ice cream, you’ll first start by making the ice cream, then the cookie dough, then putting it all together!
Step 1: the vegan vanilla ice cream base
To start, you’ll need to decide which ice cream recipe you’re following. The vegan nut free vanilla or the vegan cashew milk vanilla.
Then you’ll prepare the ice cream per the directions of the recipe card, and pour the mixture into a loaf pan. The cashew milk ice cream will be more liquid- don’t worry!
You’ll then place the ice cream into the freezer to begin the chilling process as you make the vegan edible cookie dough.
Ice Cream Machine:
If you’re using an ice cream machine, I recommend using the coconut cream based vanilla ice cream.
Follow the instructions of your ice cream machine by freezing the container 24 hrs before. You’ll churn the ice cream in the ice cream machine, and wait to stir in the cookie dough pieces until after the ice cream has thickened.
Step 2: the healthy vegan edible cookie dough
We’ll use my vegan cookie dough recipe multiplied by three here to ensure that there’s enough cookie dough bits in every bite!
You can make this cookie dough either gluten free or regular. I explain in the recipe card of that post how important it is, either way to heat treat your flour. The reason being is that raw flour, even some gluten free flours, can be susceptible to containing salmonella. Heat treating the flour will help ensure that your flour is safe to consume.
Once the cookie dough bits are made, you can store them in the fridge to chill while your ice cream is starting to thicken in the freezer.
Step 3: combining the cookie dough with the ice cream
Start by freezing the ice cream for 30-45 minutes, stirring after 30 minutes to ensure that it does not become icy.
Then stir in the cookie dough balls and chocolate chips. Waiting to add in the cookie dough ensures that they don’t sink to the bottom of the ice cream. Stir the ice cream again after an hour, then allow the ice cream to chill for 2-3 hours or until set.
Then when it’s ready, allow the vegan cookie dough ice cream to thaw for 15-20 minutes and serve!
Cookie Dough Ice Cream Recipe Tips & Tricks
- Make this vegan ice cream entirely Paleo: My recommendations for making the cookie dough for a Paleo cookie dough ice cream is using cassava flour. You’ll still need to toast the flour, as cassava flour is not to be eaten raw.
- Use oat flour or gluten free 1-to1- baking flour for gluten free edible cookie dough: you can swap this in at an equal ratio to the regular flour.
- Is the cookie dough raw? Yes! Except for the flour, since we toast it before making the edible cookie dough.
- Make sure to continue to swirl the ice cream in intervals: this ensures that the vegan ice cream doesn’t become icy. By swirling the ice cream in intervals, you’re actually simulating an ice cream maker!
- To make the cashew milk ice cream nut free: you can actually swap in cacao butter, which is a white solid fat from the cacao tree.
- Make this chocolate cookie dough ice cream: by adding in 1/3 cup cacao powder to the ice cream base!
You’re just going to love how easy and delicious this vegan cookie dough ice cream is! It’s so much fun to make and honestly way better than store bought. Absolutely no one will know this cookie dough ice cream is vegan!
If you make this vegan ice cream, be sure to leave a comment and a rating ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ so that others can find the recipe!
Let me know what you think of this flavor in the comments below, and I look forward to seeing your beautiful creations on Instagram and Pinterest!
Happy vegan ice cream making!
More vegan ice cream recipes:
Paleo no churn vanilla ice cream
Cashew Milk Ice Cream
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Vegan Cookies and Cream Ice Cream
Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Ice Cream
Vegan Snickers Ice Cream
Vegan Cherry Garcia Ice Cream