Learn how to make avocado ice cream that is sweet, creamy, and needs just 4 ingredients! Ready in minutes and easily made keto friendly!
Want a unique way to use avocado? Make this avocado ice cream recipe.
Adding avocado to desserts in’t unconventional. If you think about it, avocado is high in fat and creamy and similar to butter. It also has a very mild flavor, so you can use it as a butter substitute.
I love to use it in classic desserts, like a chocolate cake or chocolate mousse. Inspired by my avocado smoothie, I adapted the base of it to make it more of a frozen dessert, and I’ve become obsessed.
Adding avocado to an ice cream base recipe completely transforms it both in terms of flavor and texture. If you thought standard ice cream was creamy, then the avocado version is another level! It’s super creamy and if you are worried of the avocado flavor, you can easily mask it up!
Made with just 4 ingredients, you can use a standard ice cream maker or use the blender/food processor method.
What is avocado ice cream made of?
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this dessert. Choose ripe avocado and ensure your dairy ingredients are chilled. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Avocado. Firm but ripe avocados. I prefer Hass avocados, as they have a creamier texture.
- Coconut milk. Full fat and canned coconut milk. Do not use coconut milk from a carton.
- Sugar of choice. I used allulose to keep it keto friendly but white sugar also works.
- Heavy cream. Measured in its chilled state.
How to make avocado ice cream
Making avocado ice cream is easy: while you can make it in a blender or food processor, using an actual ice cream maker makes it so much easier and fuss-free. Here’s the basic idea of making this ice cream:
- Blend the ingredients: Start by blending together your avocado, coconut milk, sweetener, and mint leaves until combined. Add in the heavy cream and blend until smooth.
- Chill the mixture: Pour into a bowl and refrigerate it for 3 hours
- Churn the mixture: Add it to an ice cream maker and churn it as per the machine’s instructions.
- Freeze the ice cream: Place the ice cream in the freezer for 30 minutes, before scooping and serving.
Can I make this without an ice cream maker?
Yes, you can! For a no churn avocado ice cream, place the chilled mixture into a loaf pan and place it in the freezer. Every 30 minutes, stir the mixture until it becomes extra thick.
Tips to make the best recipe
- If the ice cream has some chunks in it, run the mixture through a sieve before refrigerating it.
- Use firm and overripe avocados for extra creaminess and richness.
- Ensure your heavy cream and coconut milk are chilled.
- If your ice cream is a little stiff when removing it from the freezer, let it sit at room temperature for several minutes before scooping.
Dietary and flavor variations
The beauty of avocado ice cream is how easy it is to adapt to other flavors or diets out there. Here are some suggestions:
- For chocolate avocado ice cream, fold through 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to the blender.
- Add mix-ins like chocolate chips, coconut flakes, or chopped nuts.
- Skip the mint and keep it mint-free.
- Cut the dairy by using plant based double cream or full fat coconut milk.
- Make keto avocado ice cream by using allulose instead of sugar.
Like any good ice cream, store this in the freezer, covered. If your ice cream maker comes with a portable container, keep it stored in that. Alternatively, you can use a freezer friendly container.
More ice cream recipes to try
- Keto ice cream
- Oat milk ice cream
- Almond milk ice cream
- Coconut milk ice cream
- Rolled ice cream
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, please see more information about Avocado ice cream keto