Here are the best information about What is ube ice cream public topics compiled and compiled by our team
No ice cream machine is needed to make this delicious and flavorful Filipino Ube Ice Cream! With five ingredients and a little mixing, you have homemade ube ice cream that is fine in texture, creamy, and a healthier version of the store-bought ice cream!
Looking for more ice cream recipes? Try my Oreo Chocolate Ice Cream, Pineapple Ice Cream or my Pandan Ice Cream!
What is Ube Ice Cream?
This Ube Ice Cream is a delicious Filipino dessert that is made with fresh purple yam, heavy whipping cream, coconut cream, condensed milk, and ube flavoring. With just 5 simple ingredients, you can have a sweet and creamy treat for your guests and loved ones this summer or on any occasion. It’s super easy to make and does not require an ice cream maker. Try this easy ice cream recipe and enjoy homemade ice cream with your family!
What is Ube? And what is the difference between Ube, Taro, and purple yam?
Ube is a purple yam that originates in the Philippines. It is widely used as the main ingredient in Filipino desserts. Most people get confused with taro and ube because they have some similarities but they’re technically different. Taro is a corm while ube or purple yam is a tuber. Taro has a light-colored inside speckled with dots while ube has a vibrant, royal lavender-purple hue. Taro can be used in both sweet and savory dishes while ube is mostly used for desserts like purple yam jam, ube cake, and ube ice cream.
What does Ube Ice Cream taste like?
Ube ice cream tastes subtly sweet and creamy with a mellow, nutty, and vanilla-like flavor. Its taste is likened to a cross between pistachio, white chocolate, coconut and vanilla.
Health Benefits of Ube or Purple Yam:
- Great source of antioxidants
- A delicious source of good carbohydrates
- Aids in lowering blood sugar when eaten without sweeteners
- Promotes a healthy digestive system because of its fiber content
- Rich source of Vitamins A and C
Tips and Variations:
- If youlove the texture, add bits of boiled ube (purple yam) right before you freeze it.
- Where to find Ube: Check your local Asian market to find ube halaya (ube jam), ube powder, or ube extract. If you can’t find it at your local Asian grocery store, amazon.com has some available.
- Fresh Ube is not always available, so feel free to use frozen grated ube, or you can use ube halaya. Also note, that since ube halaya is already sweet, add less condensed milk.
- Add vanilla extract to give the ube ice cream more flavor.
- Add chocolate chips, it makes it tastes better!
How to Make Ube Ice Cream:
Listed below are all the ingredients you will need:
- all-purpose cream or heavy whipping cream
- ube (purple yams) boiled, peeled, and cut into wedges
- condensed milk
- coconut milk
- ube flavoring
If using fresh ube (purple yams):
In a pot over medium, heat up some water and place the sliced ube. Boil it for about 35 minutes or until tender.
In a mixer or food processor, add all-purpose cream and mix until it becomes foamy about 2-3 minutes. If using heavy whipping cream, mix until stiff peak forms:
Next, fold in the boiled ube, condensed milk, 1 tablespoon ube flavoring, and coconut cream and mix until well combined:
Feel free to add more ube flavoring for a stronger taste.
Now, we are ready to freeze it!
Transfer into a container, cover and freeze overnight and cover with parchment paper or plastic wrap:
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Does ube taste like taro?
A: The texture is almost the same but ube and taro are different. The taste of ube is slightly sweeter than taro.
Q: Can you use Nestle cream instead of heavy cream?
A: Nestle cream is a popular cream used in the Philippines and it can be used for this recipe. Just make sure to whip it well so it becomes foamy.
Q: Can you make this in an ice cream maker as well?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe in an ice cream maker.
More delicious Ice Cream recipes to try!
- Filipino Mango Ice Cream
- Buko Pandan Ice Cream
- Cookie Butter Ice Cream
- Homemade 4 Ingredient Oreo Ice Cream
- 3 Ingredient Ice Cream 3 Ways Only
- Lemon Ice Cream
- Mocha Ice Cream | 5 Ingredients ONLY
- Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
- Pineapple Ice Cream
- Vegan Fruit Popsicles
NEVER MISS A RECIPE!
PINTEREST / FACEBOOK / INSTAGRAM / TWITTER
If you’ve tried this or any other of my recipes, don’t forget to rate the recipe and to leave me a comment. I love hearing from you!