We all scream for ice cream, and when it comes to homemade treats, nothing beats the simplicity and deliciousness of a no-churn recipe. Forget about condensed milk! This innovative method will give you a luscious and creamy vanilla ice cream without the need for a churn or any cooking. With just a few basic ingredients, you can create a masterpiece that rivals premium store-bought brands. Plus, it lasts for over a month in the freezer!
The Best Vanilla No-Churn Ice Cream
This homemade ice cream is a game-changer. Unlike the typical condensed milk method, this custard-based recipe produces a lighter, fluffier texture that will keep you coming back for more. Not to mention, it’s budget-friendly! You don’t need any fancy equipment or pre-freezing; a basic electric whisk will do the trick.
If you’ve been searching for a no-churn ice cream recipe without condensed milk, look no further. This is the one you need!
Which Type of No-Churn Ice Cream Should I Make?
Both methods yield delicious results with minimal effort, but the custard-based version without condensed milk wins in my book. The lighter texture and longer shelf life make it a winner. The only consideration is if you want to avoid raw eggs. If that’s the case, opt for the condensed milk version instead.
Speaking of raw eggs, let’s address the safety concerns. In the UK, look for the lion mark on your eggs, which indicates that they meet government safety standards. According to NHS advice, raw or lightly cooked eggs are safe for consumption, even for vulnerable groups. Safety standards have improved significantly, so you can enjoy your homemade ice cream worry-free. However, always check local recommendations if you’re outside the UK.
Why Make My Best Vanilla No-Churn Ice Cream Recipe?
Let’s dive into some enticing reasons why this recipe deserves a spot in your kitchen:
- Just 4 simple ingredients.
- Easy to make with no special equipment or pre-freezing required.
- Delightfully soft, rich, and creamy, even straight from the freezer.
- Much more affordable than store-bought options.
- Endlessly adaptable—you can create any flavor you can imagine.
- Easily scalable—you can double the recipe without any issues.
How to Make No-Churn Vanilla Ice Cream Without Condensed Milk – Step by Step
Follow these simple steps to create the perfect batch of homemade vanilla ice cream:
Step One – Crack and separate the egg, then whip the egg whites to soft peaks. Add a teaspoonful of sugar to stabilize them.
Helen’s Top Tip – How to Whisk Egg Whites Successfully
- Ensure there’s no grease, oil, or fat in contact with the egg whites, as it will hinder the whisking process.
- Use a clean glass, metal, or ceramic bowl. Plastic bowls can be difficult to clean thoroughly.
- Separate each egg before adding the whites to the bowl to avoid any yolk contamination.
- If you accidentally break a yolk, set it aside for another use.
- Slightly older eggs work better for whisking. If using fresh eggs, let the whites sit in a bowl for an hour or two before whisking.
Step Two – Whip the cream to firm peaks, taking your time to achieve the desired texture. If you accidentally over-whip the cream and it becomes grainy, simply add a splash of milk to bring it back to smoothness.
Helen’s Fuss-Free Tip
Whisk the egg whites first, followed by the cream. This way, you can use the same whisk without needing to wash it between steps. A time-saving hack!
Step Three – Add the egg yolk, remaining sugar, and vanilla to the whipped cream. Whisk them together until well combined. The mixture will soften but still hold its shape.
Step Four – Gently fold in the whipped egg whites, being careful not to deflate the mixture. Preserve the airiness for a light and fluffy final product.
Step Five – Transfer the mixture to an airtight, freezer-safe container and seal it. Freeze for at least six hours or until firm.
Helen’s Fuss-Free Tip
I find 500 ml plastic takeaway-style trays perfect for storing the ice cream. They’re the ideal size, stack nicely in the freezer, and freeze faster due to their flat shape. You can easily find them in bulk on Amazon at an affordable price.
Classic vanilla ice cream is versatile and pairs perfectly with various desserts. Enjoy it on its own or get creative with toppings. Serve with shortbread biscuits, amoretti, or brandy snaps. Drizzle homemade chocolate sauce, hot fudge sauce, or toffee sauce over it. Indulge in a cone with a chocolate flake, fresh berries, or alongside fruit pies or crumbles. The possibilities are endless!
Fior di Latte Ice Cream
For a delightful twist, try making fior di latte ice cream. “Fior di latte” is an Italian expression meaning “flower of the milk,” often used to describe dishes featuring the finest dairy. To make this variation, simply omit the vanilla extract and upgrade your cream to a golden Jersey or add a dollop of clotted cream.
You can store this homemade vanilla ice cream in an airtight container in the freezer for up to a month. The best part? It’s scoopable straight from the freezer, so no need to wait for it to temper!
Hints and Tips
Here are some handy tips to ensure your homemade vanilla ice cream turns out perfectly:
- Whisk the cream to firm peaks before adding the egg yolks and sugar. This step is crucial for achieving the right texture.
- An inexpensive electric hand whisk is sufficient for this recipe. Look for a high-wattage option (at least 150) to ensure efficient whipping. Expensive brands don’t necessarily guarantee better results.
- You can easily double the recipe to make a larger batch, but keep in mind that it will take longer to whip and whisk. If making more than a liter, consider doing it in batches or using a stand mixer.
Q: Can I make other flavors using this no-churn method?
A: Absolutely! Once you’ve mastered the basic technique, feel free to experiment with different flavors. Let your imagination run wild!
Q: Do you have more easy ice cream recipes?
A: Yes, I do! Check out my other no-churn ice cream recipes for more delicious ideas.
Now that you have the secret recipe for homemade vanilla ice cream without condensed milk, it’s time to get creative in the kitchen. Gather your ingredients, whip up a batch, and indulge in the creamiest, dreamiest ice cream you’ve ever tasted. Don’t forget to share this article with your friends so they can join in the fun too!
This article is brought to you by Ice Cream, your go-to source for all things ice cream.