When summer approaches and the temperatures start going up, we really start craving homemade ice cream. That ice cream maker has been sitting in the cabinet for way too long, collecting dust, waiting for the opportunity to mix up some new and fun flavors.
» For more great dessert ideas try this No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake or Salted Caramel Apple Crisp.
Well, it’s time to get churning again! Below we’ve got a collection of some amazing ice cream flavors. There’s even one for olive oil ice cream, which you absolutely MUST try to believe. It’s so delicious.
The three of us here at A Food Lover’s Kitchen were debating which was our favorite.
- Angela chose the Peach Ice Cream because it reminds her of childhood.
- Jillian chose Cherry Mascarpone
- I’m sticking with the Olive Oil
» Check out a preview of these ice cream flavors.
How Long Does It Take to Make Ice Cream?
Also read: Cookies and Cream Ice Cream | Chew Out Loud
In an ice cream maker, it takes around 20-45 minutes to churn ice cream. This is assuming you’ve already frozen the bowl, which alone can take anywhere from 4 to 12 hours. If you’re planning to make ice cream in the next day, be sure to put yours in the freeze right now!
Once you place the ice cream mixture into the bowl and started the machine, it takes about 20 minutes for the ice cream to churn and thicken. At this point, you can add extras, like fruit or candy, and continue to churn it to thicken and harden even more.
There is a point at which it’s gotten as hard as it will get and continual churning won’t do any more good. After 40 minutes, the drum will have heated up enough that it won’t continue to freeze the ice cream.
How to Get the Best Results From Your Ice Cream Maker
- Always ensure the bowl is thoroughly dry before freezing.
- Keep the bowl upright in the freezer.
- Ensure your ingredients are refrigerated before making your ice cream.
- Use high quality, high fat ingredients.
- Don’t over churn the ice cream.
- Refrain from using alcohol or liquid ingredients in your recipes, this will inhibit the freezing process.
How to Make Homemade Ice Cream
The easiest way to make homemade ice cream is in an ice cream maker. There are many different types. If you don’t have one already, we recommend one that doesn’t require rock salt.
Most modern ice cream makers, like this one from Hamilton Beach ($39.99 – free shipping), only require you to pre-freeze the bowl (we just keep ours in the freeze all the time), and then you can whip up ice cream in just 20 minutes.
When making ice cream in an ice cream maker like the one above, there are just four steps.
- Mix up your recipe (no more than 4 cups total). It’s best when the mix is chilled before pouring into the machine.
- Take the pre-frozen bowl out of the freezer and put it on the machine. Cover it with the plastic guard. Turn it on.
- Pour the mix into the bowl as it’s churning.
- Check it after 20 minutes. Add any extra at this stage, just before the ice cream is firm enough.
The ice cream is done when it’s firm and set. It can take up to 40 minutes for some recipes. It also varies based on how cold the ingredients were when you added them.
Basic Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
So many recipes start with a good vanilla ice cream base. Then you can add any fruit or additions you wish to the base. Here is a super easy and quick vanilla ice cream recipe to make in your ice cream maker.
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the sugar, whipping cream, and milk in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Stir together and let it heat until the sugar is dissolved. It shouldn’t reach a boil.
- Pour the mixture into a container and add the vanilla. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, until cold. Transfer the mixture to the ice cream machine and process until it reaches desired thickness, around 20-25 minutes.
- If you’re adding fruit or additions, pour them into the mixture after 5 minutes of churning.
» Don’t have an ice cream maker? No Problem! Try this No-Churn Dulce de Leche Ice Cream.
22 Creative Ice Cream Recipes
Here are 22 super creative and delicious ice cream recipes you can make in your ice cream maker. These recipes were compiled from expert recipe creators. Click through to see the full recipe. If you’ve made ice cream at home before, you know that sometimes things can go wrong, even when you’ve done everything right. Here is a guide for troubleshooting any issues that might arise while making these ice creams.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should the bowl be kept in the freezer before using for the first time?
Before use, the bowl should be placed in the freezer 24 hrs. in advance. Do not remove the bowl until ready to use.
Do the recipe ingredients need to be cold?
Even a built-in freezer model which is off and running at the flick of a switch, needs the custard, base, creams, and anything else you are going to add to be as cold as possible.
Can I make the recipe with milk instead of cream?
The best ice cream is full of flavor thanks to the richness of the ingredients and needs plenty of fat for it to churn well, this is not the time to skimp. Use full-fat milk or double cream whenever possible.
There are so many fun and unique flavors that go great in ice cream. We just scratched the surface with these recipes. Let your imagination go, dust off the ice cream maker and try a few.
- Easy Scones Recipe [Light & Fluffy]
- Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- Instant Pot vs Pressure Cooker: Which is Better?
Like this recipe? We’d love for you to share it on your Pinterest board! Click to follow our Pinterest boards so you can find all our recipes!
Instagram it! If you try this recipe please tag #AFoodLoversKitchen on Instagram or Twitter. We love to see your photos of our recipes! Also follow us on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to keep up on what we’re cooking up.
🥧 If you’re interested in more great recipes, I share all my favorite Instant Pot recipes over at A Pressure Cooker Kitchen, air fryer recipes at Air Fry Anytime, and cocktails and drinks at Savored Sips. Check it out today!
Pin it for later
Through this article, we hope to help you understand Ice cream maker ice cream recipes